This message is a follow-up to the chapter officers' breakout session held as part of the Leadership Breakfast at the Houston conference on Saturday 2nd April.  For chapter officers who were unable to attend, here is a brief list of the major challenges and issues identified in the course of the session:

·     recruitment of new members
·     geography (members widely dispersed)
·     contacts with local library schools
·     co-programming with neighbouring chapters and/or VRA chapters
·     provision of travel awards to chapter members
·     fundraising
·     improvements to ARLIS/NA Chapter Success Book
·     finding a host for chapter web site
·     structure of ARLIS/NA and role of Regional/Canadian Representatives

Interest was expressed in having a chapter-initiated session or workshop at next year's annual conference in Banff (5-9 May 2006), concentrating on  chapter links to local library schools, how to establish and nurture them by means of attendance at careers events, arranging practicums and internships, setting up speakers' bureaux, etc.  The deadline for submitting proposals to be considered for the Banff conference is Saturday 14 May.  Accordingly, as organisers of the chapter officers' breakout session at Houston, we would like to invite chapter officers, whether present in the room in Houston or not, to contact us concerning their ideas and proposals for such a session or workshop.  We are not necessarily looking to draw up a proposal ourselves; rather, we want to ensure that this positive suggestion, which is of importance to ARLIS/NA as a whole as well as to the individual chapters, does not lack follow-up for want of encouragement.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Jonathan Franklin
Canadian Representative
Head of Collections and Database Management, Library
National Gallery of Canada
380 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON  K1N 9N4
Canada