One of the speakers at the ARLIS conference session "Sacred Modern: The
Menil Style" mentioned a book that would be of interest to many of our
members.  Here is the citation that I promised to post.

Sanctuary: The Spirit In/Of Architecture, edited by Kim Shkapich and
Susan de Menil.  Houston: Byzantine Fresco Foundation, 2004.  (ISBN
09752615-0-9)

Available from the Menil Bookstore for $29.95.  Phone: 713-535-3180
(Wed.-Sun.)
Email: [log in to unmask]

The book explores the architecture and presentation of art in the Rothko
Chapel, the Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum, and the Menil Collection.
It includes excerpts from letters and speeches by John and Dominique de
Menil, as well as short essays by a variety of authors, including the
speaker at our ARLIS session, Rafael Longoria, and our "Sanctuaries"
tour guide, Nora Laos.

        Margaret Culbertson
        Director, Hirsch Library
        Museum of Fine Arts, Houston