I've hesitated to email the list about the GLIRT situation at the risk of
perpetuating the drama, so to speak, but I think at this point it is important to
point out a couple of things, especially since I was Chair of GLIRT prior to
Miguel and am in support of dissolving GLIRT.

** As has been pointed out by Sherman initially, there is no longer official
sponsorship of panel sessions by round tables, etc. at conferences, so that
specific purpose for existence is no longer necessary.  And to demonstrate that
this isn't even necessary, consider "The Queer Art World" panel session
Sherman & I co-moderated at the New York City ARLIS/NA conference.  We came up with
the proposal and the panel session without anything having to do with GLIRT;
queer content had nothing to do with the round table.  Because GLIRT sponsored
important sessions in the past does not imply that there is a necessity for it
to still exist as it currently does when the group no longer sponsors
sessions.
** The GLIRT mailing list and the web site were wonderful things in the past,
but has already been noted, both have gone to the wayside.  The list was
dissolved at a committee meeting chaired by me for two very practical purposes:
(1) Eric Schwab (the moderator, who did an excellent job as list manager) was
leaving Cornell where it was hosted; and (2) there were hardly any postings
anymore, and those that were business-related had to get posted to ARLIS-L anyway.
 In my year as Chair of GLIRT, I think there were maybe a dozen messages
posted to that list (not counting "me too" replies).  As for the web site, it
wound up that for various reasons it died out and did not get started up again.
It is perhaps lamentable, but can anyone in ARLIS/NA really claim that since
it's been down (for 3+ years now!) that we've missed it for practical
work-related purposes?  It may have been beneficial when it started, but I hesitate to
think that even a new version would or could supplant other queer-related web
sites out there.  Consider also that I could get no one to volunteer to be
webmaster, which brings up another point...
** Getting people to volunteer to chair the round table itself was
problematic.  After fruitless attempts to email for volunteers and to ask for volunteers
at the business meeting, I had to contact Miguel specifically to ask him to
take over, and he agreed.  This does NOT imply that people are not committed to
queer-themed art library issues or do not have an interest in GLIRT.  Rather,
to me, it implies that everybody is overworked and doesn't have time to
devote themselves to "yet another committee," especially when/if they are involved
with other ARLIS/NA committees, divisions, and chapters.

In the best interests of ARLIS/NA (which has attempted to streamline things
over the past couple of years), it only makes sense to me that GLIRT can be
dissolved.  No one said it was going to be a popular decision.  And no one even
remotely implied that queer-themed sessions and/or discussions would not take
place in ARLIS/NA ever again.  I mean, come on, let's face it -- ARLIS/NA has
some of the most active gay/lesbian-related members than most other
organizations!  And if queer-themed sessions/discussions do fall to the wayside, I
suspect it will be because members with an interest in these areas will have turned
away, not because the society will have rejected them.  And I also see no
reason why former GLIRT-related members could not consider reorganizing as a
social or discussion group like we have seen so many others pop up in the past
couple of years of ARLIS/NA's history, without having the added worry of filing an
annual report, finding a chair, etc.

I'd like to also point people's attentions to the Queer Caucus for Art, an
affiliated organization of the College Art Association.  Sherman and I are both
members, and we have both played active roles in that organization as well
(Sherman does the newsletter!).  The QCA is in fact much more organized than
GLIRT ever has been, in my mind.  The recent "InterseXions" conference in NYC is
an amazing example and demonstrated to me how international
gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender artists, art historians, gallery owners, and librarians can all
come together and exchange information in a way that perhaps as
librarians/visual resource curators in a small library organiation we often can't see beyond
our own bookshelves/databases.  And their listserv, though not heavily
congested, does get more email than the GLIRT list ever did.  Those interested in
preserving GLIRT might consider diverting their attentions towards the QCA and
attempt to find a way to make that organization an affiliated society of
ARLIS/NA.

Roberto C. Ferrari