ARLIS colleagues--
a list of mysteries and/or art-related
fiction that ARLIS members have enjoyed
recently.  These books and authors were
mentioned at our Houston mystery-readers'
dinner last Monday.  What follows is just
the first round-robin of recommendations.
To compile a list of ALL books discussed
over the course of the evening would be
too daunting a task to undertake!
I hope these titles will keep you pleasantly
occupied until you can join us in Banff
for more suggestions.

Nick Kilmer started the round of recommendations
with suggestions of art-related fiction--
What's Bred in the Bone (by Robertson Davies)
To the Lighthouse (by Virginia Woolf)
Red Headed Girl (short story in Penelope
Fitzgerald's collection, "The Means of Escape")

Shannon Van Kirk recommended Nicholas Kilmer's
five (#6 forthcoming this Fall) art-related
mysteries, starting with: Harmony in Flesh and Black

Amy Ciccone has written as article on architecture
mysteries for the Mystery Readers' Journal
http://www.mysteryreaders.org/Issues/Art1.html

other author/title/series recommendations
include:

James Bradberry (The Seventh Sacrament)
Sarah Graves (The Dead Cat Bounce, home repair
mystery series)
Edward Marston (Christopher Redmayne series--
regarding an architect after the 1666 Fire of London)
Sharan Newman (medieval series)
Nancy Atherton (Aunt Dimity series)
Joanne Fluke (Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder)
Robert Crais (The Forgotten Man)
Linda Barnes (Snapshot)
Jane Urquhart (The Underpainter--not a mystery)
Iain Pears (An Instance of the Fingerpost)
Robert B. Parker (Boston setting)
Leslie Meier (Valentine Murder)
Richard & Frances Lockridge (Pam & Jerry North series)
Diane Mott Davidson (food-related mystery series)
Susan Wittig Albert (herbalist series)
Tony Hillerman (Navajo mystery series)
Michael McGarrity (Santa Fe setting)
Kathleen O'Neal Gear (The Visitant)
Sarah Andrews (Earth Colors)
Donna Andrews (Murder with Peacocks)
Vera Caspary (Laura)
Dana Stebanow (Alaska mystery series)
Michael Frayn (Headlong) not a mystery
John Dickson Carr
Lindsey Davis (Roman mystery series)
Steven Saylor (Roman mystery series)
John Maddox Roberts (Roman mystery series)
Michael Dibdin (mysteries set in Italy)
Andrea Camilleri (mysteries set in Italy)
Arturo Perez-Reverte (The Fencing Master;
The Flanders Panel)
Donna Leon (mysteries set in Venice)
Margaret Truman (Murder at the Library of Congress)
Robert L. Snow (Looking for Carroll Beckwith:
the true story of a detective's search for his past life)
Sara Hoskinson Frommer (Murder in C Major)
Jane Langton (Murder at the Gardner)

And I'll add a note to also check out the
work of Dean James (librarian, mystery
bookshop owner, author of mysteries and
mystery bibliographies--and speaker with
Nick Kilmer at our Houston ARLIS conference).
For example (with Jean Swanson):
By a woman's hand: a guide to mystery
fiction by women

Also, thanks again to Jill Cogen for her
pre-conference regional mystery bibliography.

--Linda Duychak
Kohler Art Library
University of Wisconsin-Madison

P.S. to attendees--apologies if I missed
or misconstrued any of your comments; and note
that I omitted some (very few) recommendations
if I could not confirm my notes via OCLC.
List addenda are welcomed.