>Tom,

here at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago the artists' book
collection is one segment within Special Collections (amidst a variety of
material and archives, some artists' book related, others not). It is
located within the main library (students also have access to the museum's
library, which does not collect artists' books).

Students and faculty from some of the departments (Studio Arts,
Printmaking, Photography) have to walk quite a bit to get from their
building to ours but so far seem to think that a visit with us is always
worthwhile - even during Chicago winters. (How far is too far for your
faculty?)
The material is strictly non-circulating, of course, with few of the
reference materials duplicated in the circulating collection. We are open
to the general public and accommodate about 8,000 users per year, more than
half of those are our own students. Keeping the collection running
efficiently requires quite a commitment on part of the library, especially
financially - something you have to be prepared for.

We simply ask visitors to wash their hands just prior to handling the
material and do not require gloves. We found that those are intimidating,
leading to clumsiness and generally give an unsatisfactory experience with
the type of material we are collecting (CCA Kitakyushy and WSW amongst
them). I am amazed how well the material, even after the most frequent
usage, is holding up and how careful the vast majority of people are with it.
What makes these items special is not necessarily restricting their
handling or usage, but their conceptual and aesthetic integrity, their
freedom from art trends and marketable topics, and the casualness with
which interesting art can be made and shown - characteristics that becomes
clear to most visitors rather quickly.

Good luck,
Doro

AnneDorothee Boehme
Special Collections Librarian
Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 South Wabash
Chicago / Il 60603-3103

312.899.5098 (phone)
312.899.1851 (fax)