-----Original Message-----
From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of William Peniston
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 10:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] GLIRT

        It was with great sadness that I read the proposal to dissolve
GLIRT.
        GLIRT has indeed made a significant contribution to the life of
ARLIS/NA. It has sponsored some very important and interesting sessions,
sometimes alone and sometimes in conjunction with other division, sections,
or round tables. It has not always had an easy time organizing these
sessions, nor have all of its sessions been accepted by the program
committees. And now that session do not need to be sponsored by DSRTs, then
perhaps it has indeed outlived its usefulness, as some have contended,
although as others have pointed out, it could just as easily continue to
raise issues of gay and lesbian interests that might develop into session
ideas.
        GLIRT has also provided a forum for gay and lesbian librarians and
others to meet one another formally in order to discuss matters of interest
to them and to others. Perhaps this was the original intention of the
concept of the round table. However, it is equally true that the business
meetings of GLIRT have, more often than not, focused on routine matters, not
on major issues. We have discussed the status of the listserv, which has
since been dissolved, the condition of our website, which is no longer being
updated, and ideas and proposals for sessions at future conferences, which
have touch on major issues, which have occasionally developed into session
proposals, and which have occasionally resulted in truly outstanding
programs. Perhaps it is indeed time for GLIRT to discuss seriously what
purpose it serves and what role it want to play, but it does seem to me that
such a discussion should take place in the annual business meeting of GLIRT.
        I am surprised to learn that the business meeting in Houston was not
well attended, did not address potential conference programs, and did not
even discuss the issue of dissolution. I am surprised to learn that only one
out of the twelve signators to the proposal of dissolution was in attendance
at the business meeting. And I am particularly surprised to learn that
neither the immediate past moderator, Miguel Juarez, nor the current
moderator, Ray Anne Lockard, were included in the discussion to put forward
the proposal to dissolve GLIRT.
        I am pleased to read the various messages that have come out in
support of the continuation of GLIRT. I am particularly happy to hear that
Ray Anne Lockard is willing to continue to be the moderator of GLIRT for the
next year. I am excited to hear that she is full of ideas about the website,
about programs for next year, about recruiting new members. If any one could
revitalize the Round Table, Ray Anne could!
        Let us, therefore, table the proposal to dissolve GLIRT. Let us see
what can de done in the next year. And let us continue to discuss the future
of GLIRT over the next year, especially at the next business meeting in
Banff in May 2006.
        Sincerely yours,
William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Manager of Library and Archives