I'm not a member of GLIRT, and I don't want to step into the middle of a
political quagmire, but I would be curious to know how many members GLIRT
has.  That might actually be two different numbers--the number of people
who check the box on the membership form and the number of people who are
able to attend the annual meeting.

According to the Bylaws (Article XII-C-1), 15 members are needed to create
a Round Table.  But according to the Policy Manual (Policy E-1), only "more
than 10" members are required to sustain the Round Table.

Policy E-3 also states, however, that the Executive Board may dissolve a
Round Table if it is unable to elect a moderator or submit an annual
report, the latter of which GLIRT does not appear to have done this past
year.  On the other hand, Article XII-C-8 states that the Executive Board
is authorized to dissolve a Round Table "when in the opinion of the Board
its usefulness has ceased."  How does the Board gauge the usefulness of a
forum for "discussion and informal exchange of information"?

It's interesting to note that Policy E-1 states that there is no formal
term of office for DSRT moderators.  Therefore, the recycling of moderators
may not be as much of an issue as sustained interest.

As I said, I have no particular interest in GLIRT.  I don't agree or
disagree with any of the preceding messages on this matter.  I'm merely an
ARLIS/NA member who has observed, as the organization has evolved over the
past five years or so, the creation, reorganization, and dissolution of
various committees, divisions, sections, and round tables, some of which
have gone on to enjoy second incarnations as discussion groups.

Ellen K. Corrigan
Art Librarian
Arts Library
University of California