Cataloging in RLIN21

Hello,

Yes, I do realize that the subject line is a bit of an oxymoron right now but, I've run into a situation with our workflow that I thought perhaps your collective wisdom may help me with.

The RLIN21 client that was release on March 1st has a limitation added to it that has hampered our workflow.  Prior to March 1st, the client allowed you to access the options menu while you were in the editor working on a record.  This was something we liked because in order to batch load records into our current system, we need to segregate authority records and bibliographic records into separate files. If we found a record in NAF we wanted to pass in the process of cataloging something we would edit the file name of the our export file to separate the records and then change it back to export the bibliographic record when we finished the cataloging.  The current version of  RLIN21 will not let us edit this file name if the editor is open.

Since we have a finite number of simultaneous users and since one of the advantages of RLIN21 was supposed to be simultaneous searching, I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  If we pass all records to a single file, we then have to load them individually and create holdings records for the bib records  (which we don't do when we batch load - they are created as part of the load process).   I've considered changing the file name in options to default to the file we use for saving authority records (so they can be saved as part of cataloging) and then editing the file name after the bib record is saved to RLIN but before we export it to the file name we use for bib records.  The only problem with this is that we will have to change the file name back again after exporting, and we export far more bibs than authorities.  I've also considered re-searching authority records after we finish cataloging, but there again it seems like a waste of money since we are paying per search (and there is no longer a discount for id searching!)

So is there anyone else out there with this problem?  Have you found a work around?

Thanks,

Lori

Lori Ann Thorrat
Head Cataloger
Ingalls Library
Cleveland Museum of Art
tel. 216-707-2557
fax 216-421-0921

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]