Dear Colleagues:

It's great to be having a session on marketing in Houston.  I hope it will include some help for smaller libraries that may have to do it all by themselves.

"Marketing, Public Relations, and Advocacy" will be the title of one of the chapters in the planned Handbook of Art Museum Librarianship.  However, I found, when I was soliciting authors for the Handbook, that this was the least popular topic.  Not considered unimportant, just one that few librarians wanted to--or had time to--write about.  Ironically, it may have the greatest importance for solo librarians and others with small staffs who have the least amount of time to devote to it.  Even if the parent organization has a publicist on staff, librarians must take primary responsibility for public relations and advocacy both inside and outside the organization.  And even professional publicists will need the librarian to help them tell what the particular attractions are of their library.

I've recently come across two websites that may be of interest to librarians in any size library who are concerned about these issues.  One is run by Chris Olson & Associates www.chrisolson.com.  Her company is involved in "creating and implementing marketing strategies for libraries and information professionals."  Chris has a Ph.D. in Art History and once thought that she wanted to become an art museum librarian.  She does consulting, market research, web development/design, and writing.  She is also busy as a speaker and runner of workshops.  She has a lot of free stuff on her website, most notably a free online newsletter, Marketing Treasures.  She includes (also free) an archive and index of back issues.  Another part of her website is called "What's New!"  This month's edition includes a reading list on branding.  This is not a personal endorsement.  I'm only familiar with her website.

The other site of interest is Information Bridges International www.ibi-opl.com, a company founded by Judith Siess "to facilitate exchanges of ideas among librarians and information professionals around the world."  She is best known as the editor of The One Person Library Newsletter.  It is not free; the price of an electronic subscription is $69, but it's well worth considering for librarians in small libraries.  Siess has written several books.  I do recommend her latest, The Visible Librarian: Asserting Your Value with Marketing and Advocacy.  It's published by ALA.  She is also available for lectures and workshops.  You can order the newsletter and the books as well as make inquiries about her workshops on her website.

See you in Houston!

Joan M. Benedetti