When I was doing research in nineteenth century photography some years ago as a graduate student at Yale, I recall reading of numerous instances of photographers getting ill or even dying as a result of experimenting with chemicals.  These incidents would not be indexed in any bibliographical source material, as they were mostly in the form of news snippets of the trade as covered by the popular journals for the photography profession published in the United States and Britain.  I would suggest perusing the news sections of any of these journals and you are bound to come up with examples - just pick any year, especially from the 1850s to the 1870s which were years ripe with experimentation.  This of course would require some perseverance and initiative on the part of the student who might prefer resorting to the internet for an easy solution.  I've mentioned this before, but original research in primary sources is still the best approach - the internet is only a possible starting point.  One still needs to explore the vast untapped resources of the library.

    Many photographers perished from accidentally setting fire to their studios the result of experimenting with flammable chemicals.  Early flash photography was most hazardous - the flash was created with gunpowder, with often disastrous results.

    Raymond Smith / R.W. Smith Bookseller
    New Haven

Hi.  Does anyone know of a nineteenth or early twentieth century photographer who became ill as a result of using one of the processes or chemicals of that medium?  I have a student looking for the info. I've checked the art databases and Google and got nowhere.