On Saturday, April 2, from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm, ARLIS conference attendees have a chance to see the Orange Show and go on a Houston Eye-Opener tour for the bargain price of $50.00.  (Refreshments included!)  For those of you who are not familiar with the Orange Show, it is the creation of retired postman Jeff McKissack in honor of his favorite fruit.  (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXHOUorange.html)

Working from 1956 until his death in 1980, McKissack used found objects and common building materials to create a maze of walkways, balconies, arenas, and exhibits decorated with mosaics and brightly painted iron figures.  The site is operated by the Orange Show Center for Visionary Art (http://www.orangeshow.org), a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and presenting works of extraordinary imagination.

The Beer Can House (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXHOUbeer.html) is also owned and maintained by the Orange Show Center for Visionary Art and will be included in our special Eye-Opener Tour.  John Milkovisch claimed to have drunk the beer from every can that he used to festoon his modest bungalow.  He flattened beer cans to make decorative aluminum siding, and strung thousands of pull tabs to make long streamers to hang from the eaves.  The result is a shimmering fantasy that will make you marvel.

Our tour guide will be Houston architect and visionary art expert Larry Harris, alias NarrowLarry.  (http://www.narrowlarry.com)  His Web site includes images of visionary folk art environments all around the country.

As art librarians, however, we are well aware that photographs cannot equal the experience of actually seeing art works in person, so, plan on joining the group on April 2 at the Orange Show and the Houston Eye-Opener Tour!

If you have already registered for the conference and want to sign up for the Orange Show tour now, email Susan Rawlyk at [log in to unmask].  If you have questions about the tour, please contact me at the email address or phone number given below.

        Margaret Culbertson
        Director, Hirsch Library
        Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
        P.O. Box 6826
        Houston, Texas 77265-6826
        telephone:  713-639-7326
        email:  [log in to unmask]

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]