Academic Library Division
ARLIS/NA 2005 Annual Conference, Houston, Texas
April 3, 2005; 8-9:30 am (clocks move forward one hour Saturday, so set that
alarm early!)

Meeting Agenda
(We will structure our meeting so that there is time for lots of
discussion and interaction from all members, so please come with
ideas.)

Welcome to new and returning academic librarians.

 Introduction of current officers
.       Rebecca Price, moderator
.       Ann Shincovich, vice-moderator
.       K.C. Elhard, Update column editor

Election of new officers
Those interested, please email ([log in to unmask]) or speak with me before
the meeting.

Reports:
Professional Development Committee mentor program update: Report from
Rebecca about their efforts.
Discuss possibility of coordinating a mentor initiative with the Prof.
Dev. Comm. Last year members expressed interest in this – ideas ranged
from mentoring at entry and mid-career, library school student
mentoring, career-change mentoring. If you have interest in this or
have strategies that have worked at your school, please speak up at the
meeting. Near the end of this meeting we will break out into interest
groups. If you’re interested or have ideas, please meet together at the
end.

Outreach initiative
Ann, our incoming moderator, would like to work with members to
identify ways in which we can reach out to the library community, the
academic community, and other communities (K-12?) with our particular
skills and knowledge.   How can we help to instill "best practices" in
young database/image users?

ARTstor revisited and other current databases
Last year ARTstor become the major topic of discussion at our meeting –
particularly it’s cost.  Where are we now?  What are the major issues in
accessing and/or using ARTstor?  Other digital resources?  What’s your
favorite database and why?

Online content and meeting students’ expectations
As academic librarians we are at the forefront of the online content
debate.  Students (and some faculty) expect “everything” to be
online.  Imagining an online world – how does our job change in this
transitional world (half in print and half online)?  Where’s the value
in each world and what value do we bring?

Session ideas for the Banff Conference
Springing from above discussion topics or new ideas?
What's new in your academic library?

_______________________________________
As you're planning your days in Houston, note sessions of particular interest to
the Academic Librarian community:

Session 3: Providing Visual Information in the New "Smart" University: The
Cross-Campus Development of Digital Image Libraries (Grand Ballroom K: Sunday
10-11:30)

Session 6: This Isn't a Ranch So Why Do We Need a Brand?: Public Relations and
Marketing (Room 339 AB: Sunday 1:30-3)

Session 7: De-Googleing Today's Students: Successful Models Of Art Library
Instruction (Grand Ballroom K: Sunday 1:30-3)

Session 20: Academic Libraries, Visual Collections, and Campus Museum Border
Crossings (Grand Ballroom J: Tuesday 11:30-1)

Session 21: Educating the Educators: Teaching with Digital Technology (Grand
Ballroom J: Tuesday 1:30-3)

Session 22: Working with the Best of Them: Evolving Vendor-Art Library
Relations (Room 339 AB: Tuesday 1:30-3)

Session 23: Remote Control: Library Services and Collections for Offsite
Programs (Room 340 AB: Tuesday 1:30-3)