[ARLIS-L] cooperation in lean times
Anne, thanks for raising this important question.

Alas, most people do take the taxi, or a van service, with a fare set at $37.50 for one or two passengers.  http://iah.houstonairportsystem.org/transportation#TAXI.  The list might be a good way to find riders to share the fare.

The "Bush IAH 102 Express Bus" runs from Terminal C at the Inter-continental Airport to Main Street downtown. The cost is $1.50 each way, and it takes about an hour.  A timetable and map are at http://www.hou-metro.harris.tx.us/pdf/routes/102-iah.pdf.  You might want to compare your airport arrival terminal with that of Terminal C: http://iah.houstonairportsystem.org/terminals#maps.  An underground subway links all the terminals.

The Metro bus to and from Houston Hobby Airport is the 101, with more information at http://www.hou-metro.harris.tx.us/pdf/routes/101-Airport.pdf

The general web site for the Metro transportation services is at http://www.hou-metro.harris.tx.us/homepage.asp.

Rentals cars http://iah.houstonairportsystem.org/rentalcars/ are always an option, and might make sightseeing easier if folks want to go afield on their own--but remember, parking at the Houston Americas Hotel is $12 per day.

Others who know the terrain well might have other suggestions.

See you there!