Greetings!

   My name is Elizabeth Dehne.  I am a student at Indiana University's
School of Library and Information Science.

   Currently, I am in BJ Irvine's Art Librarianship Seminar.  For my seminar
paper, I am writing about Art Museum Libraries and how they extend their
services outside of the museum to the general public, including schools and
general researchers.  I addition, I am interested in any collaboration efforts
between art museum libraries and other portions of the museum, the community or
other libraries. More specifically, are Museum Libraries are making an effort
to be more active in the programs the Museum's Education department conducts
for the public?

   I would appreciate it if art museum librarians, or others who are involved
with art museums and libraries, would answer a few questions for me.
If possible, I would like to have most of the responses by the middle of April.

1. Is your library currently active in outreaching to the community that
surrounds the museum? (this can be public schools, libraries, universities
etc.)

2.  If so, briefly explain these programs. What has been the response by the

public?

3. If not, does the library collaborate with the museum's Education
Department
to provide resources for outreach/education programs (this can be books,
space,
bibliographic instruction etc.)

4. How do you feel about museum libraries moving beyond the traditional role
of serving the museum staff and docents to serving a larger audience?

5. Do you feel that the library is being used to its fullest potential?
Please
explain.

6. I understand that finances are a great determinant of staffing and hours
that the library is open.  Do you think that if the library participates
with the museum's more public forms of marketing, it would be able to justify a
larger budget or get more grants for collaboration efforts?

Thank you for your thoughtful answers.  I look forward to hearing from you
in the near future!

Again, I appreciate your help.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if you
have any questions. My email address is [log in to unmask]
Sincerely,

Elizabeth Dehne
MLS Candidate
Indiana University-Bloomington, IN