Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Hanshan Tang Books New List 126 - The Qing Dynasty

Records for our new List 126
Including a special section on
The Qing Dynasty
have been added to our web site at:
     http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 126 will be mailed out shortly.
Visit http://www.hanshan.com/hstpdf.html
to download new PDF VERSIONS (Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 125, then you may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 125 and you have been active, the paper
copy of 126 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)

A SPECIAL CATALOGUE OF BOOKS
ON CHINESE CERAMICS
As list 126 is issued, we are in the midst of preparing
a special catalogue of books on CHINESE CERAMICS,
the first that we have produced in some years.
This will be a list of almost one thousand titles,
covering ceramics of all periods and types.
It will be sent on request,
so please do let us know if you would like to receive a copy.

NB :
ISBN searching is now supported on the web site.
Just type ISBNs *with no spaces or hyphens*
into the search input field.

 A FEW NEW BOOKS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A few sample titles, newly in stock, that customers may like to order (please quote the six-character code in uppercase letters at the beginning of each record below)
Please Note: we have limited initial stock of some of these titles and, where books must come from abroad, restocking may take some time.

BAU051
Baur Collection: SOUS LA GRIFFE DU DRAGON: COSTUMES DE COUR DE LA DYNASTIE QING (1644-1911). (Under the Dragon's Claw: Court Costumes of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911)). Geneva, 2004. 159 pp. Colour plates throughout, many fullpage. 27x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 30.00
Available
Catalogue of an exhibition at the Baur Collection. Begins with a loan of early woodblock-printed books from the Musee Guimet as well as English and French works related to the discovery of Chinese costumes by Europeans in the 18th and 19th centuries. The second part presents the costumes of courtiers and servants  as well as their wives. Decorated with a strict code of identification using rank badges and other insignia. The third section is  dedicated to the court costumes of the Emperor and imperial family as well as decorative objects and domestic textiles. The final section displays a variety of sumptuously embroidered cloths, jewelry and accessories worn by Manchu and Chinese women including dresses, skirts and jackets. Very well-illustrated throughout in colour. In French.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BAU051

BROPB1
Brokaw, Cynthia and Kai-wing Chow ed: PRINTING AND BOOK CULTURE IN LATE IMPERIAL CHINA. Studies on China, 27. Berkeley, 2003. xvi, 539 pp. 63 b/w illustrations. 18 tables. Bibliography, index. 24x16 cm. Cloth.
GBP 48.95
Available
One of the first substantial collections of scholarship on the culture of the book in China, this finely edited volume is based on the proceedings of a conference with eleven essays on commerial publishing and the markets for books, publishing for specialized audiences, and the illustrated Chinese book as a 'visual medium'. With a good linking introduction by the first editor.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BROPB1

ZZLSH1
Castiglione, Giuseppe: LANG SHINING HUAJI. Collection of Paintings of Giuseppe Castiglione. Tianjin, 1998. 153 pp. 120 pp. of colour plates. 38x27 cm. Cloth.
GBP 75.00
Available
A fine overview of the works of the Qing dynasty Jesuit court painter Giuseppe Castiglione demonstrating the range of his talent. Paintings are predominantly from the National Palace Museum in Taibei and mainland Chinese collections. In Chinese only.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/ZZLSH1

CHIPP2
Chia, Lucille: PRINTING FOR PROFIT. The Commercial Publishers of Jianyang, Fujian (11th-17th Centuries). Cambridge, 2003. 472 pp. 78 illustrations. 2 maps. Bibliography, index. 24x16 cm. Cloth.
GBP 32.95
Available
Based on an extensive study of Jianyang imprints, genealogies of the leading families of printers, local histories, etc., this is not just a history of commercial printing but also a wide-ranging study of the culture of the book in traditional China.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?c/CHIPP2

FRA051
Frankel Ltd., E. & J: ZISHA: THE PURPLE SAND OF CHINA. The Lee Collection of Ming and qing Dynasty Yixing Ware. New York, 2005. 101 pp. 41 pp. colour plates. Colour illustrations.  30x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 35.00
Available
Dealer's catalogue of 29 choice examples of Ming and Qing Yixing ware. Includes teapots by famous potters plus seldom-seen Yixing scholar's studio objects - brushwashers and waterdroppers. A couple of wine cups are also shown. All objects are illustrated in colour and well-described. All marks are shown.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?f/FRA051

GENZB1
Geng Baochang & Qin Xilin ed: ZHUSHAN BA YOU. (The Eight Friends of Zhushan). Nanchang, 2004. 766 pp. Colour plates throughout, colour text illustrations. 2 vols. 30x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 250.00
Available to order
An excellent addition to the literature on Republic Period (Minguo) Chinese ceramics, this large two-volume work focuses on the work of the pre-eminent ceramic artists active in Jingdezhen during the Republic period. Known collectively as the Zhushan Ba You (The Eight Friends of Zhushan), this group included Wang Qi, Wang Dafan, Xu Zhongnan, Wang Yeting, He Xuren, Liu Yucen, Cheng Yiting, Bi Botao, Deng Bishan and Tian Hexian. The life and work of each artist is covered in detail with numerous ceramics illustrated. In addition, and of particular interest, paintings by each artists are shown. For a couple of artists, just one or two paintings are shown, more in other cases. This is the first time that we can think of where such a link has been shown to exist between Chinese ceramics and painting and will prove of great interest to scholars examining the links between different media in Chinese art.  Whilst some of the ceramics have been illustrated in previous publications, new material is also shown. The paintings have, to our knowledge, never been published. In Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GENZB1
LPMQS1
Yang Renkai et al. ed: QING GONG SANYI GUOBAO TEJI: SHUFA JUAN, HUIHUA JUAN. Album of Lost National Treasure of the Qing Palace: Calligraphy and Painting. Beijing, 2004. 7, 2, 624 (over 600 pp. colour plates); 9, 626 pp. (over 600 pp. colour plates) A number of foldouts. 2 vols. 45x33 cm. Cloth.
GBP 1,800.00
Available
An absolutely magnificent two-volume catalogue of an exhibition of early calligraphy and paintings commemorating the opening of the new Liaoning Provincial Museum. In the period leading up to his expulsion from the Forbidden City in November 1924, the last Emperor, Pu Yi, selected a number of the finest treasures from the collection that were easily portable. These included an undefined (but not insignificant - it is said up to 1200) number of paintings, album leaves and calligraphy, the majority early. Pu Yi, together with his brother Pu Jie, were said to have smuggled this material, along with other light pieces, out of the Forbidden City as an insurance policy against financial impecunity. When Pu Yi later became the puppet ruler of the Manchukuo regime in north-east China, this material undoubtedly went with him. The paintings have since become known as the Northeast or Liaoning group. It appears that over a period of time some of these paintings went to Japan and elsewhere. Following the defeat of the Japanese and the detention of Pu Yi, the remainder ultimately entered the Liaoning and Jilin Provincial Museums or were returned to the Gugong Museum in Beijing. This work shows 39 calligraphies and 53 paintings (in a second volume) in the Liaoning Provincial Museum, many here exhibited and illustrated for the first time due to their fragility. These 92 works comprise the entire holding of works known to have been taken by Pu Yi that are in the Liaoning Museum collection plus two very fine Liao paintings excavated in Liaoning province.  All the calligraphies are shown actual size and in their entirety. It also includes all accompanying colophons, inscriptions and collectors seals. The paintings are again all shown in their entirety, with many also reproduced in their original sizes and again showing collectors' seals, colophons and inscriptions. The calligraphies and paintings date from the Eastern Jin to the Qing with the majority of the material being early. 1 Eastern Jin work, 7 from the Tang, 2 Five Dynasties, 41 from the Song, 2 from the Liao, 1 from the Jin, 17 Yuan, 20 Ming examples and 1 Qing work. All the works are reproduced in fine colour plates throughout with many folding out to give unprecedented reproduction of selected works. A superb record of little-known treasures from the Chinese imperial collection that have a distinct cachet due to their obscure recent history. Given the high quality of the colour plates and the reproduction of many works in their original size, this is also an important tool in the research of early Chinese painting and calligraphy. A large and weighty set of volumes with dual English and Chinese texts. Highly recommended.
  Should you be interested, please order your copy as soon as possible. The edition is limited and, due to the exceptional nature of this work, obtaining copies is likely soon to prove difficult.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?y/LPMQS1

GGMC02
Gugong Museum: JIN TANG LIANG SONG HUIHUA SHANSHUI LOUGE. (Paintings of the Jin, Tang and Song Dynasties - Landscape and Architecture). Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 2. Shanghai, 2004. 22, 265 pp. 259 pp. colour plates. 1 foldout panorama.  29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available
Volume 2 in the series The Complete Collection of Treasures of the Palace Museum illustrates and describes Jin, Tang and Song painting depicting landscapes and architecture - buildings, pavilions etc. 58 exquisite works are shown (of which 55 are Song), including the famous 'Ming Qing Shang He Tu' by Zhang Zeyuan in a panorama foldout. All the works, including long handscrolls, are shown in their entirety and in detail. Accompanying colophons and inscriptions are also illustrated. Includes national treasures and lesser-known works. Captions in English, otherwise Chinese text. A beautiful work that we recommend.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC02

GGMC03
Gugong Museum: JIN TANG LIANG SONG HUIHUA - HUANIAO ZOUSHOU. (Paintings of the Jin, Tang and Song Dynasties- Animals, Birds and Flowers). Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 3. Shanghai, 2004. 24, 253 pp. 251 pp. colour plates.  29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 60.00
Available
Volume 3 in the series The Complete Collection of Treasures of the Palace Museum illustrates and describes 83 exquisite masterpieces from the Jin to the Song dynasties (of which 77 are Song) showing flora and fauna. Includes the  famous Tang work 'Five Oxen' in a panorama foldout, other national treasures plus lesser-known works. All the works, including long handscrolls, are shown in their entirety and in detail. Accompanying colophons and inscriptions are also illustrated. Captions in English, otherwise Chinese text. A beautiful work that we recommend.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC03

GGMC43
Gugong Museum: JINSHUTAI FALANGQI. (Cloisonne and Enamel Wares). Complete Collection of Treasures Gugong, 43. Shanghai, 2001. 259 pp. Colour plates throughout. 29x22 cm. Boards.
GBP 65.00
Available
Volume 43 in this series show 244 superb examples of cloisonne and enamel wares held in the collection of the Gugong in Beijing. Excellent colour plates, most objects shown in multiple views and close-up detail. English plate captions, otherwise Chinese text only.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GGMC43

HACCI1
Hacker, Arthur: CHINA ILLUSTRATED. Western Views of the Middle Kingdom. North Clarendon, 2004. 288 pp. 500 colour and b&w photographs, engravings, postcards. 31x23 cm. Cloth, dustjacket.
GBP 36.00
Available
Visual analysis and commentary on a fascinating collection of hundreds of images spanning the period between the arrival of the first foreign traders in the mid-sixteenth century up to the beginning of the Second World War.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?h/HACCI1

JOROP3
Jorg, Christiaan: ORIENTAL PORCELAIN IN THE NETHERLANDS. Four Museum Collections. Groningen, 2003. 107 pp. 60 items, objects and marks, all illustrated in colour plates. Paper.
GBP 19.00
Available
Published on the occasion of Christiaan Jorg's farewell exhibition, this catalogue displays a selection of the 200 pieces in the exhibition which themselves were chosen as the best, most beautiful and interesting pieces of Chinese and Japanese Export porcelain from the collections of the Groninger Museum, the Princessehof Museum, the Rijksmuseum, and the Municipal Museum of The Hague.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?j/JOROP3

ZZSLJ1
Liu Tao; Office of the Shenzhen Municipal Committee for the Preservation of Ancient Monuments: SONG LIAO JIN JINIAN CIQI. Dated Ceramics of the Song, Liao and Jin Periods. Beijing, 2004. 6, 9, 257 pp. 23 pp. colour plates plus numerous b/w text illustrations and drawings. 26x18 cm. Paper.
GBP 30.00
New stock due shortly
Useful work depicting and detailing ceramics from the Song, Liao and Jin dynasties (primarily from excavations) that can be dated. Numerous illustrations, primarily black-and-white. In Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?l/ZZSLJ1

AAM051
McGill, Forrest and M. L. Pattaratorn ed: THE KINGDOM OF SIAM. The Art of Central Thailand, 1450-1800. San Francisco, 2005. 197 pp. 215 colour plates. Bibliography, index. 31x23 cm. Paper.
GBP 30.00
Available
Catalogue of a groundbreaking exhibition at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco, the first such shown in the US for over thirty years. With 89 of the finest surviving works of the relatively neglected Ayutthaya kingdom drawn from collections in Thailand, Europe and the United States. Scholarly essays, detailed descriptions and fine illustrations. (The exhibition later moves to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem.)
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/AAM051

NURCA1
Nuridsany, Michel: CHINA: ART NOW. Paris, 2004. 264 pp. 200 colour illustrations. Chronology, biographies. 25x26 cm. Cloth.
GBP 30.00
Available
Impressive insider's tour of the diverse studios of 30 contemporary Chinese artists, working both in China and abroad. Illustrated throughout in colour, with photography by Marc Domage.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?n/NURCA1

COLL22
Pierson, Stacey ed: SONG CERAMICS: ART HISTORY, ARCHAEOLOGY AND TECHNOLOGY. PDF Colloquies, Art & Archaeology in Asia 22. London, 2004. 237 pp. Colour and (predominantly) b/w illustrations.  28x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 25.00
Available
This is the publication of (the fully-illustrated and edited) 12 papers from an international colloquy devoted to Song Ceramics held in London under the auspices of the Percival David Foundation in 2003.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?p/COLL22

[log in to unmask]                  http://www.hanshan.com
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]