  To qualify for academic art librarian positions, I generally recommend
that students have both the mls and the ma in art history.  This
combination also works well for vr positions where art history, from my
perspective, is especially critical.  Jumping between types of
institutions may pose challenges unless the institutions share
important characteristics, e.g., both are "research level." bj irvine

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Nina K Stephenson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I hope the ARLIS collective wisdom can help me with this
> question. A library school student (working on MLS) has
> asked for my advice. His strongest interest at the present
> time is academic art librarianship, but he may also
> consider visual resources and/or museum library positions.
> He would like to know how such experience will be viewed
> in the future when/if he attempts the transition to
> academic art librarianship. By the way, he also has an
> undergraduate degree in art.
>
> Do any of you have wisdom to share? I have never served on
> an art librarian search committee, so am at a loss as to
> how to advise him. Please respond to me, and I can
> summarize responses for the group if there is interest.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Nina
>
> *~+~*^*~+~*^*~+~*^*~+~*^*~+~*^*~+~*^*~+~*^*~+~*
> Nina Stephenson, Art & Photography Librarian/
> Fine Arts Collection Development Coordinator
> Fine Arts Library  MSC05 3020
> 1 University of New Mexico
> Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001  USA
> ph: (505) 277-0679  email: [log in to unmask]

B. J. Kish Irvine, Ph.D.
Fine Arts Librarian
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405