Growing up as I did in a small town in northeast Texas in the late 1950s/early 1960s, Houston always loomed large as a distant, enigmatic city, not as easily categorized as Dallas (magnolias and dressy), Fort Worth (western), San Antonio (exotic), and Austin (college/legislature town).  In fact, it was further from my hometown to El Paso than it was from Chicago to New York.  We Northeast Texans went to Dallas for shopping, eating, and culture (in my case, movies on a big screen).  So I didn’t even visit Houston (or the Gulf Coast) until I was in my early 20’s.  It seemed very far away.

I loved statistics when I was growing up (surprise…), and was always proud that Houston (Texas’ largest city) was one of the ten largest cities in the United States.  I never really stopped to think why it was so big, since it didn’t have a lot to offer climate-wise (but April will be lovely!), or topographically.  But perhaps Houston encourages migration from everywhere, not unlike New York, and a kind of promise of possibility that cities developing after World War II seem capable of delivering.

But the lack of a definite profile (and zoning) also makes it fun.  When you visit, you’ll see vestiges of Western-Southern-New South-Red State-all tied up in a modern package that may look more like a city in the burgeoning Far East or modern Arab capitals than the US.  Perhaps it’s no coincidence, since oil and energy and the monies they generate rule the roost there.

Like many cities created over a short period, there is a lot of pride there-and generosity of spirit, as exemplified by the recent bequest of one woman who left her entire estate to the MFA, Houston.  I have no doubt that the Texas chapter is prepared to capitalize on this spirit, so I hope you’ll join me in seeing what the future can bring, not only for our profession but in a city that personifies the 21st century.

Fifth in a series of personal reflections on Houston.

Milan R. Hughston
Chief of Library & Museum Archives
The Museum of Modern Art
11 W. 53rd St.
New York, NY   10019
212/708-9409;212/333-1122 (fax)

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]