Dear Colleagues,
        Thank you to all of you who responded to my inquiry regarding pay for interns and part-time professionals. Some of you asked me to summarize those responses, so here they are:

        I received ten responses from six musuem libraries, two research libraries, one academic library, and one library school. These institutions are located in New York City (4), New Jersey, Boston, Washington, DC, Delaware, Florida, and Arizona.

        Most interns are volunteers, but those institutions that pay their interns pay between $10 and $15 an hour. Those institutions that pay college assistants or graduate students (not necessarily interns) pay between $9.16 and $17.73 an hour. For part-time professionals, most beginning librarians are paid between $15 and $22.60 an hour, although more experienced professionals receive as much as $35 an hour.

        The internship coordinator at the library science school who responded to my inquiry pointed out that the intern has to pay tuition for the credit, and hence, a wage of $16.67 an hour would only cover that cost.

        I realize that this survey is not scientific in the least, but I hope that this information might be helpful to some of the rest of you.

        Sincerely yours,
William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Manager of Library and Archives
The Newark Museum
49 Washington Street
Newark, NJ   07102
Telephone: (973) 596-6625
Fax: (973) 642-0459
Email: [log in to unmask]

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]