I am pleased to announce a special installation at Rockefeller Center celebrating the 75th anniversary of The Museum of Modern Art featuring images from Art in Our Time: A Chronicle of The Museum of Modern Art. There are seven innovatively designed kiosks devoted to the Museum's history, corresponding to chapters from the book edited by Museum Archivist Michelle Elligott and Harriet Bee, and published on the occasion of the Museum's opening and anniversary in November 2005. The reproductions of historical photographs and archival documents underscore the riches to be found in the Museum Archives. A press release describing the installation is attached.

For those of you in the New York area, Michelle and Harriet will be signing copies of the book on Tuesday, February 22nd from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the MoMA Design and Book Store off the main lobby of the 53rd St. entrance of MoMA. I do hope you will get the chance to view the installation and join us for the book signing to celebrate the history of the Museum told through the research resources of MoMA.

MOMA CELEBRATES 75-YEAR ANNIVERSARY WITH A MULTI-MEDIA INSTALLATION ON THE CONCOURSE AT ROCKEFELLER CENTER

Art in Our Time: A Chronicle of The Museum of Modern Art

February 13 – 27, 2005

7 a.m. – 10 p.m. Daily

30 Rockefeller Center Concourse, between 49 and 50 Streets and 5 and 6 Avenues

Free to the Public

New York, February 10, 2005 -- On the occasion of the Museum's 75th anniversary and the opening of its new building, The Museum of Modern Art presents Art in Our Time: A Chronicle of The Museum of Modern Art, an innovatively designed, three-dimensional installation presented in conjunction with MoMA’s recent publication of a book of the same name.  The display, which is free and open to the public daily, will be on view on the Concourse at Rockefeller Center from February 13 through 27, 2005.

Seven freestanding displays present images of MoMA’s buildings and sculpture garden throughout the last 75 years, from its original home in the Heckscher Building at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 57 Street, to its newly renovated and expanded building on 53rd Street designed by Yoshio Taniguchi.  Included in the presentation are reproductions of photographs of major exhibitions and important events at the Museum and the people whose ideas helped shape our understanding of modern art.  Arranged as “chapters” to coincide with the arrangement of the book, the displays include reproductions of rarely seen historical photographs and archival documents.

The history of MoMA is linked to its present with two videos projected onto a 45 foot screen that show a continuous stream of visitors arriving in the Museum’s lobby and moving through the five floors of galleries in the new Peggy and David Rockefeller Building.  A 26-foot-long, panoramic pinhole camera image of the Museum’s Abby Aldrich Sculpture Garden and galleries, by Timothy Hursley, anchors the installation.

The Art in Our Time installation marks the second occasion in which MoMA has utilized Rockefeller Center.  In 1937, five years after MoMA had relocated from its original West 57 Street location to a townhouse at 11 West 53 Street, MoMA temporarily moved its offices and galleries to what was then the newest building in Rockefeller Center to have been completed, 14 West 49 Street.  This move was made to accommodate the construction of a new International Style building by Philip L. Goodwin and Edward Durell Stone.  Works from MoMA’s rapidly growing collection – and the special exhibition Bauhaus 1919-1928 – were exhibited at Rockefeller Center until MoMA moved into its new home on West 53 Street in 1939.

Studios Go conceived the installation plan, and the structural design of the free-standing displays for the installation, incorporating innovative fabrication techniques and new technologies to create displays that engage the public while telling the colorful story of MoMA’s history.

The Rockefeller Center installation is based on the newly published book Art in Our Time: A Chronicle of The Museum of Modern Art [Edited by Harriet Schoenholz Bee and Michelle Elligott

Hardcover, 9.5 x 10.75 in./256pages/556 illustrations (171 in color) ISBN: 0870700014, $50.00], a book of historical photographs and archival documents, many of them never before published.  Documents include excerpts from letters, invitations, and other historical material that tell the story of The Museum of Modern Art from its beginnings to the present.  This publication is made possible by The Blanchette Hooker Rockefeller Fund and is available at the MoMA Design and Book Store; the MoMA Design Store, Soho; and at www.momastore.org.

To celebrate the publication of Art in Our Time: A Chronicle of the Museum of Modern Art, MoMA will host a book-signing at the MoMA Design and Book Store off the lobby of the Museum on Tuesday, February 22.  Michelle Elligott, Museum Archivist in the Department of Museum Archives, and Harriet Schoenholz Bee, formerly Editorial Director in the Museum’s Department of Publications will sign copies of the book from 5:30-6:30 p.m.

For more information on the Art in Our Time installation at Rockefeller Center, the public may call 212-632-3975, or visit www.rockefellercenter.com.

Milan R. Hughston
Chief of Library & Museum Archives
The Museum of Modern Art
11 W. 53rd St.
New York, NY   10019
212/708-9409;212/333-1122 (fax)

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]