On Tuesday, April 5, at 4:30 p.m., Dr. John H. Lienhard, M.D. Anderson Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering and History at the University of Houston will present the closing Plenary Session:  The eye of the forehead, eye of the mind: How does an artist see? How do we see what an artist shows us?  For those of you who are not familiar with John Lienhard and are wondering why an engineering professor will be giving this presentation, a little background on him may be of interest.

It is hard not to use the term “Renaissance man” when describing John Lienhard.  As an expert on thermal sciences, Dr. Lienhard has received many awards and honors over the years and was selected as a member of the National Academy of Engineering.  He is more widely known among the general public, however, as the author and voice of the radio show The Engines of Our Ingenuity, which is heard on many National Public Radio stations.  In each three-minute episode, Dr. Lienhard addresses aspects and examples of creativity and invention.  His definition of “engine” ranges far beyond the traditional technological interpretation of the term.

Take a look at some of the episodes posted on the Engines Web site:  www.uh.edu/engines.  My favorites include no. 819:  “Panvention”, no. 1000: “Reflection on 1000,” and no. 1023: “Sheffield Silver Plate.”

Be sure to include the closing Plenary Session on your conference schedule, for Dr. Lienhard is a fascinating and inspiring speaker.

        Margaret Culbertson
        Director, Hirsch Library
        Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
        P.O. Box 6826
        Houston, Texas 77265-6826
        telephone:  713-639-7326
        email:  [log in to unmask]

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]