Hello Arlis members-

I am vcataloguing a set of the First and Second Series' of Eastlake
Contributions to The Literature of The Fine Arts. I have a quandry,
however.

Both volumes have the bookplate of Charles L. Eastlake in them. Volume 1
(First series, published 1848) has the signature of Charles Lock
Eastlake , followed on the next line by D.D., followed on a third line
by Sir Charles Lock Eastlake, P.R.A., with London underneath it. Above
all this, it says June, 1857. This copy contasins significant marginalia
in the earlier section.

Question:

Does anyone have an idea where I might see an image of Sir Charles Lock
Eastlake's bookplate, and also an image of Charles Lock Eastlake's
bookplate? I'm trying to determine if these volumes escaped from the
library that was sold by Lady Eastlake upon her husband death to the
national library. I.E. Is the first volume the author's copy, or the
nephew's copy?

Any help would be appreciated. Obviously the second volume is not his,
since he had dies by 1870, but his widow may havwe pasted the bookplate
in the book herself?

It a tough one!

Thanks for any help aoofered. Images supplied upon request!

Best Wishes,
Kevin Mullen, Bookseller

--
Kevin Mullen, Bookseller
P.O. Box 472, Marietta, Pennsylvania 17547