Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

I am pleased to inform you of some significant changes that are upcoming
in the Society's publishing program.

The release of the new ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS) in early March will provide
some exciting and effective methods of compiling and disseminating
information of relevance to members.  A message will soon be released
regarding the "roll-over" from the old site to the new, so stay tuned.
The new AWS will feature broad changes in design, navigation, and content.

After many years of compiling and editing the Society's bimonthly
newsletter, Update, Linda Zieper will be stepping down as editor.  Linda's
superlative job has made her name synonymous with this publication which
kept members up with news, accomplishments, events, and special
bibliographic features.  On behalf of the Executive Board and the entire
membership, I'd like to recognize Linda's contributions and to thank her
for a job well done.

The Update Editor position has been reconfigured into a "News and Features
Editor" position which will play an integral role in providing timely and
substantive content for the AWS.  A call for applicants will soon be
issued, and we hope to have this new member of the editorial team on board
after interviewing and selecting at the Houston Conference.

Occasional Papers continue to be the Society's primary published
monographic series with information of value to art librarians, visual
resources curators, students, teachers, and vendors.  Paul Glassman has
served very ably as OP editor for the past five years, and he will
continue to oversee completion of some new titles that are in the
pipeline.  Paul has decided to step down from this editorial position, and
on behalf of the Executive Board and the membership, I extend thanks and
appreciation to him.

The OP Editor position has also undergone some revisions and a call for
applicants to fill the new "Professional Resources Editor" slot will soon
be out.  The newly configured scope will entail acquisition, editing, and
production of Occasional Papers and other substantive material in both
print and electronic format.  The new AWS will allow both new editors to
deliver member-produced features and resources in a timely and accessible
way.

For some years the Society has discussed the web and its growing impact on
how we communicate and how we provide information. We have made some
shifts, such as making Update and the reviews from Art Documentation
available on the web site. The time has come to act boldly and craft an
approach which maintains the strengths of current practices while taking
advantage of the tremendous potential and power of the web. Our thanks go
to Jack Robertson and his Publications Committee for working through
these issues and charting a course which I believe will serve ARLIS/NA
well.

I hope you will all support this effort with your suggestions and by
contributing the content required for its success!

Best, Jeanne Brown
ARLIS/NA President

Jeanne Brown                            Tel:702-895-4369
Head, Architecture Studies Library      Fax:702-895-1975
Box 45-4049, 4505 Maryland Parkway      Email:[log in to unmask]
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV 89154-4049

Home page: http://www.library.unlv.edu/arch/index.html