Hi Everyone,

I have accepted the position of Hispanic Studies Librarian at Texas A&M University in College Station (starting June 1st).  I will be housed in the Cushing Memorial Library and Archives with selector duties of Spanish language materials for their Main Library.  Donor relations and the identification, acquisition and processing of manuscripts and rare books, as well as exhibition creation will be part of my responsibilities.  My last day at the U of A Library is May 6th.

I will be acquiring both primary and secondary Spanish language materials to support the study, research and teaching needs of a newly developed PhD Program in Hispanic Studies, shared by four Texas A & M universities.  Texas A & M is a Research Level I Institution and a peer institution with the University of Arizona.  The university has a student enrollment of 47,000.  The university has also created a Mexican American and Latino Research Center (MALRC), a university-wide research center housed in the College of Liberal Arts that will assist faculty members in attracting support for their research through grant development and will assist in expanding the scope of their research through interdisciplinary collaboration.   What is most impressive is Hispanic faculty have also organized themselves into a unified voice and are moving the campus forward.

I have enjoyed my time at the University of Arizona, and have enjoyed working with so many wonderful people--but you never know, you may see me in your neck of the woods meeting with alumni or potential donors-like the late Fritz Scholder used to say--the world is my oyster.

I will forever be indebted to Fritz (who passed away on February 10th) and whom I had the pleasure and honor of cultivating.  Later, working with Sam Huang, Assistant Dean of External Affairs and Carla Stoffle, Dean of Libraries and the Center for Creative Photography, we were able to realize important gifts for the library.   I am most proud of this work and I see this as an important contribution here.  Fritz's death has brought a sense of closure for my time in Arizona

I will still be active in ARLIS/NA and ARLIS/MW as my time permits.   I look forward to seeing everyone in HoustonJ

Miguel Juarez, Assistant Librarian

(Art, Art Education, Art History & Photography)

Fine Arts Library

Center for Creative Photography Library

University of Arizona Library

Office: Music 231B

P.O. Box 210103, Tucson, AZ  85721-0103

VOICE: (520) 626-9434/FAX: (520) 626-1630

E-mail: [log in to unmask].edu

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]