Dear Lois,
There is a major effort called "Cataloging Cultural Objects: A Guide to Describing Cultural Works and Their Images".  These cataloging guidelines address the needs of cataloging all types of cultural objects and visual materials.

CCO is a VRA sponsored project, with funding from the Getty, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and the DLF.  There has been wide community input, from the archival, museum, visual resources, and library communities.  A draft version is available at:
http://www.vraweb.org/CCOweb/index.html

There will also be a session at the upcoming ARLIS conference that discusses CCO; there many other venues at which CCO will be discussed and training workshops offered during the next year.  The CCO web site provides information about these venues as well.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Ann Whiteside
CCO co-editor