Greetings colleagues,

A little clarification on the following posting. Within Reader
Services here at the R&B we have three f-t professional positions:
Head of Reader Services [myself], (Senior) Reference Librarian, and
Reference Librarian [which we consider more of an entry-level
position]. The posting below is for the Senior Ref. Lib. position,
but due to internal HR regulations we can not officially post the job
as "Senior..." This job does have supervisory responsibilities and we
try to fill it with someone who can bring a reasonable level of
"early career" experience and also an art/architecture history
background.

If you have any questions about this posting please do not hesitate
to contact me directly; applications should be mailed to the address
indicated in the posting. Our current Sr. Ref. Lib., Amy Trendler, is
leaving us soon for her first head librarian position, which she will
announce shortly.

Unfortunately, due to teaching and graduate school obligations I will
not be attending the Houston conference. Wishing you all a most
successful meeting in the great state of Texas. Be sure to check out
Barbara Rockenbach and Jane Devine Mejia's session "Photography at
the Borders: Imaging/Imagining Texas and Mexico," currently scheduled
for Sunday, April 3, at 1:30, and brought to you by the Photography
Librarians Group.

Regards,

Peter Blank

>Date:         Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:08:51 -0500
>Sender: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Arlisna <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [ARLIS-L] Reference Librarian - Art Institute of Chicago
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Reference Librarian
>Ryerson & Burnham Libraries
>
>THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO is seeking a Reference Librarian for its
>Ryerson & Burnham Libraries. Provides extensive research services for Museum
>staff; responds to written, telephone, and email reference questions; works
>shifts at Reference Desk; assists in bibliographic instruction classes and
>orientations. Oversees interlibrary loan operation. Supervises one full-time
>support staff who in turn oversees circulation, reception, copy services,
>and four FTE support staff. Coordinates AIC Members' programs for Libraries.
>Assists Head of Reader Services and second Reference Librarian in planning
>Reader Services' operations and supervises unit in absence of the Head of
>Reader Services.
>
>Qualifications: Early career candidates (3-5 years of professional
>experience) are encouraged to apply. Required: MLS or equivalent and
>background in art history; ability to work collegially within a small unit
>that is flexible and extremely responsive to patrons; proficiency in at
>least one foreign language; ability to use full range of text and electronic
>resources in the arts and related disciplines; ability to communicate
>clearly and concisely with a broad range of patrons. Strongly preferred:
>advanced degree in art history or related discipline; supervisory
>experience.
>
>The AIC offers a competitive benefit and vacation package. Full-time
>35/week.  Salary commensurate with experience. Range for this position is
>$41,500-43,000. Tuition remission at School of the Art Institute (includes
>MA programs in Art History, Historic Preservation, etc.). Review of
>applications begins March 15 and continues until the position is filled.
>
>Curriculum Vita, cover letter, and list of three references to:
>
>The Art Institute of Chicago
>MC/592
>111 S. Michigan Ave
>Attn:  Shelly Booker
>Chicago, IL  60603
>Fax:  (312) 857-0141
>EOE

Peter P. Blank                        Phone: (312) 443-3665
Head, Reader Services                 FAX: 312.443.0964
Ryerson & Burnham Libraries           [log in to unmask]
Art Institute of Chicago
111 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL  60603