Kay

VRA recently came out with the publication, A Guide to Cataloguing Chinese Art.  While it is about cataloging images of Chinese art rather than books  you may find it useful and at the very least it could help the intern get a general overview of the history of Chinese art.

TRISH ROSE
Image Metadata Librarian
Union Catalog for Art Images (UCAI) Project
Geisel Library MC 0175K
UC San Diego
La Jolla, CA  92093-0175

W(858) 822-0611

>>> Kay Teel <[log in to unmask]> 01/10/05 12:10PM >>>
My library will have an intern this semester who will do some cataloging
for us, including cataloging Chinese books about Chinese art. I intend to
introduce him to the various resources available for art cataloging (e.g.,
LC memos, Art Cataloging.net, ARLIS/NA Cataloging Section webpage, etc.)
but I was wondering if any of my colleagues had some good tips for
resources about Chinese art (in English or Chinese). I have to assume that
the intern is not very familiar with Chinese art. (But he's fluent in Chinese.)

Some questions which have arisen from our current cataloger handling
Chinese books include trying to determine what's considered Chinese
painting vs. Chinese calligraphy vs. Chinese drawing. She's noticed that
Library of Congress tends to call everything "Painting, Chinese" when she
would have placed it in calligraphy or drawing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Kay Teel
Serials Catalog Librarian and Cataloger for the Arts
Stanford University Libraries & Academic Information Resources