What do I love about Houston…?  One might expect this to be written by one of the Houston host committee instead of a foreigner in DC, but as one of the many “ARLIS Texas-Exes” – members of the Texas-Mexico Chapter of ARLIS/NA who have gone to positions in other parts of the country; I was delighted to be asked to share my deep affection for Houston.

I worked at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston for almost seven and a half years, beginning in 1985. Like many who come to Houston from the East, I was puzzled by the city for months. Houston, as I discovered, is a town where it is useful having a ‘native’ guide show (or tell!) you the beautiful or offbeat sites that make it unique. Many friendly Houstonians gave generously of their time to insure that I experienced as much of the city as I could. I bet you will encounter a stranger who will happily guide you to a favorite spot of theirs.

Houston lacks a lot of the pretension that is stereotypical of much of Texas. The phrase “World Class” is insecurely attached to many of the city’s educational, recreational, and cultural amenities, but often by newcomers. You will not find a better survey of Surrealist art outside of Paris than at the Menil Collection. Some of the most cutting edge opera productions in the United States are conceived at the Houston Grand Opera. The city ranks second in the country for the number of theatre seats and is the third largest art market after New York and Los Angeles.  Houston’s prestigious Medical Center is recognized as one of the leading research and clinical treatment facilities in the world. A native Houston would know all of this and be quite proud, but would only boast of it when pressed.

Houston is often best experienced through its contradictions.  It is attending a Puccini opera one night and dancing to Zydeco the next. It is gaining inner peace at the austere and elegant Rothko Chapel in the morning and experiencing the zany excitement of the Orange Show in the afternoon. It is devouring a plate of incredible (and cheap) tamales at the down home La Mexicana on Montrose Boulevard for lunch and savoring the inventive (and expensive) cuisine of Café Annie for dinner. It is being visually assaulted by ugliness of strip malls that line the roads as one enters the city only to be visually restored by the cathedral-like splendor of the live oaks that line the boulevards in the Museum District.

My example of the city’s diversity as observed at Vietnamese restaurant, which alas is no more. This place was in an industrial neighborhood close to downtown and was a most unattractive, cavernous structure (By the way, Houston has the largest population of Vietnamese outside of Vietnam). Illuminated by the glare of too many pink florescent light fixtures were row upon row of tables, filled with college students and their professors, bikers, construction workers, medical staff from a nearby hospital, and socialites dressed to the nines. It would not be inconceivable to guess that seated at the table next to the stylish matron was the crew that mowed her lawn that morning.  If you make the best spring rolls in town, Houstonians regardless of their social demographic, will beat a path to your table.

Houstonians work hard and play just as hard. Parks are full of joggers, music streams from night clubs for every taste, and theatre and concert hall seats are full. Given the physical size of the city, you may have to work a bit harder to capture its essence – both high and low, but your efforts will be rewarded with a unique experience that will encourage you to explore.

While the conference organizers want you to take advantage of the incredible program that they have assembled, I think you ought to ditch at least one session or meeting and just explore. Rent a car and drive to the Williams Tower (formerly Transco) out by the Galleria. Visit the amazing fountain on their grounds before heading towards the retail splendor of the dazzling Galleria. Drive through the Heights to see the restored Victorian houses or the Craftsman bungalows that make this one of the most charming neighborhoods in town. Walk through Philip Johnson’s University of St. Thomas campus, ending your tour at his recent Chapel of St. Basil. Head to the Museum of Fine Arts and experience the elegance of Mies van der Rohe’s design of the Weiss building from both inside and out. Find the West Alabama Ice House and have a beer with your buddies. It will be great!

My favorite thing to do when I return to visit is to stroll around the Menil Collection, then walk around the neighborhood until I end up at the Rothko Chapel. I have a particular spot that I like to sit and contemplate life while I study Barnett Newman’s “Broken Obelisk” that sits in a reflecting pool in front of the Chapel. It is a serene experience that I have rarely been able to replicate. If you can’t find me in a session or an exhibit hall, you know where I will be. I’ll save you a seat.

Gregory P. J. Most

Chief, Library Image Collections

National Gallery of Art

Washington, DC 20565

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

phone:  202/ 842-6100

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]