Re: Utah Artists Project

We would like to talk with those working on projects similar to ours.
UAP's goal is to "improve access to, information about, and knowledge of
the work of Utah's most prominent visual artists in the last century and
a half."

We are gathering for each artist a portrait, biographical information, a
bibliography, information on any archive/manuscript collections, and
images of 2 to 3 dozen works.  We started with 350 names and are pulling
together materials from the vertical files, Special Collections, Utah
museums, galleries, and the artists themselves.  (The artists are
responding with a great deal of enthusiasm.)

UAP is part of the Mountain West Digital Library (a Utah/Nevada project,
at http://www.lib.utah.edu/digital/mwdl/about.html) (uses Content DM).
We're using MWDL scanning and metadata standards.  We are also working
with Pioneer, Utah's Online Library (for k-12, public and academic) and
with MediaSolutions, which produces content for our educational TV
system and distributes streamed video to k-12 (uses North Plains).

You will not be surprised that copyright is by all odds the most
troublesome piece.  We would especially like to know how you are
handling this and to see examples of permission requests which you may
be using.  We are contacting both the artist and the person or
institution who owns each painting to ask permission to use their work
in both the UAP and in a MediaSolutions "ArtLife of Utah" streamed video
project.

The other issue which will clearly be troublesome is the intersection of
ARTstor, Content DM, and North Plains.

Thanks much,
Margaret Landesman
Head, Collection Development, Marriott Library
Interim Head, Dumke Fine Arts and Architecture Library