Jonathan, I believe this trend is desirable, and it certainly isn't coincidental to Google's announcement. I think that libraries becoming somewhat 'commercial' is a natural development to Project Gutenberg. I do agree that we must promote art and see that it is properly represented among other subjects. Why not participate? It will enhance research in any given field. And, as long as it promotes the free share of knowledge that was previously hidden from most 'ordinary' people (i.e. non-librarians), then I think it is a blessing.
Eric Anderson

[log in to unmask] wrote:

Is it purely coincidental that this follows the recent announcement of Google’s plan to digitise millions of books from various major libraries and make them searchable online (see e.g. http://www.google.ca/intl/en/press/pressrel/print_library.html)?  I am sure I am not the only one trying to figure out what all this means for us as art librarians.

Since only a few ‘snippets’ of in-copyright material will be offered by Google, together with links to options for purchasing, will it be more of an acquisitions tool?

What percentage of the material we use is out-of-copyright?

Are there plenty of art books at Michigan University Library, of which “virtually the entire collection” is due to be digitized (http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?Releases/2004/Dec04/library/index)?

If the Google collection were to become a place of first resort for researchers, do we have a responsibility to see that ‘our’ subject (i.e. art), is properly represented?

Are we expecting to put links to all those digitised art titles in our local catalogues?

Of course, it could be a godsend to research into the history of book illustration.

I am curious to hear what other members think.

Jonathan

Jonathan Franklin

Head of Collections and Database Management, Library

National Gallery of Canada

380 Sussex Drive

PO Box 427, Station A

Ottawa, Ontario

K1N 9N4

Canada

telephone (613) 990 0590;  fax (613) 990 6190;  email [log in to unmask]