Records for our new List 125
Including a special section on
Japanese Painting
have been added to our web site at:

      http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 125 will be mailed out shortly.
Visit http://www.hanshan.com/hstpdf.html
to download new PDF VERSIONS(Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 124, then you
may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 124 and you have been
active, the paper
copy of 125 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)

  A FEW NEW BOOKS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A few sample titles, newly in stock, that customers may like to order
(please quote the six-character code in uppercase letters at the
beginning of each record below)
Please Note: we have limited initial stock of some of these titles
and, where books must come from abroad, restocking may take some time.

BROVJ1
Brown, Kendall H: VISIONS OF JAPAN. Kawasa Hasui's Masterpieces.
Leiden, 2004. 152 pp. 100 colour 2 b/w illustrations. 28x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 21.99
Available
Contains 100 of the most famous prints of the early 20th century
Japanese print artist, Kawase Hasui. A selection of the snow, moon
and rain scenes for which he was famous. Good introduction to this
artist's work.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?b/BROVJ1

GUACR1
Guadalupi, Gianni: CHINA REVEALED. The West Encounters the Celestial
Empire. Vercelli, 2003. 336 pp. Colour illustrations and b/w
photographs throughout. 36x26 cm. Cloth.
GBP 35.00
Available
Starts with the earliest reports of Arab traders encountering China
and then moves on to Marco Polo and the numerous visitors since,
discussed in chronological progression from Matteo Ricci, the
Portuguese, Nieuhoff, through the Macartney Embassy and onwards.
Includes the Sacking of the Summer Palace, the rise of Shanghai.
Missionaries, the Boxer Rebellion, the fall of the Empire. An
interesting, readable account that is illustrated throughout with
numerous illustrations from old books, watercolours and paintings,
plus early photography.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?g/GUACR1

MIRPP1
Mirviss, Joan B. et al: PRINTED TO PERFECTION. Twentieth-Century
Japanese Prints from the Robert O. Muller Collection. Leiden, 2004.
130 pp. 123 colour and 6 b/w illustrations. Biographies,
bibliography, glossary, index. 30x25 cm. Paper.
GBP 22.99
New stock due shortly
Based on the first exhibition selected from Muller's monumental
bequest to the Sackler Gallery, this catalogue illustrates and
describes over 100 works by 19 leading artists. Essays by Mirviss and
Amy Reigle Newland. Catalogue descriptions by Chris Uhlenbeck, Marije
Jansen and Henk Herwig. Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?m/MIRPP1

NIF043
Nezu Institute of Fine Arts: THE COLOURS AND FORMS OF SONG AND YUAN
CHINA. Featuring Lacquerwares, Ceramics, Metalwares. Tokyo, 2004. 210
pp. 81 pp. colour plates, numerous b/w text illustrations.  30x22 cm.
Paper.
GBP 50.00
Available
Catalogue of an important exhibition focusing on Southern Song and
Yuan lacquers from Japanese collections. 161 pieces (of which 130
lacquer) are illustrated in colour and fully described. Further text
illustrations show other associated lacquers, ceramics and metalwares
(gold and silver) from the same period with similar design and form
and which help underpin the dating of the lacquers. Also of much
interest for research on the interplay of form and decoration between
different media. Two page introduction and four page list of exhibits
in English. Main text in Japanese. Recommended. See review in Asian
Art Newspaper November 2004.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?n/NIF043

TCY031
Taipei County Yingge Ceramics Museum: JIANGGANG WENHUA - TAIWAN WEI -
GANG YU WENG DE GUSHI. Pickling Pot Culture, A Taste of Taiwan: The
Story of Vats and Urns. Taipei, 2003. 111 pp. Colour illustrations
throughout.  29x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 35.00
Available
Catalogue of an interesting exhibition held at the Yingko Ceramics
Museum located outside Taipei. Explores the timeless Chinese
tradition of pickling and brewing, here with a focus on present-day
production in Taiwan. In addition to descriptions of the industry,
there are many illustrations of the fine pots, vats and urns used as
containers for the products. Near dual text in English and Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?t/TCY031

TIAZJ1
Tian Hongsheng comp: ZHI JIAN: ZHONGGUO GUDAI SHUHUA, WENXIAN YONG
ZHI JIANSHANG. (Authenicating Paper: The Connoisseurship of Ancient
Chinese Paper as Employed in Art and Literature). Taiyuan, 2004. 4,
203 pp. Colour plates throughout. 24x19 cm. Paper.
GBP 20.00
New stock due shortly
Very welcome addition to our sources of information on Chinese paper
as used in calligraphy, painting and, of course, the production of
fine printed editions, from the Tang period onwards. Following a
brief introduction, the book illustrates 177 dated samples of paper
in colour. Each fragment is photographed under natural light and with
back-lighting, original size in both cases, then a small plate with
the paper in use is also given. With captions giving each paper's
name, characteristics and uses. In Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?t/TIAZJ1

WANBG2
Wang Shixiang: BEIJING GE SHAO. Beijing Pigeon Whistles. Shenyang,
2000. 112 pp. 23 pp. colour plates, numerous b/w text illustrations
and drawings. 23x19 cm. Cloth.
GBP 35.00
Available
A delightful book on this appealing folk craft and once popular
Beijing pastime that involves the carving of pigeon whistles, usually
from bamboo or gourds, affixing these light whistles to the tail
feathers of pigeons and then flying the birds, upon which the
whistles produce a distinctive and harmonious sonorous noise. The
whistles can be quite complex, often with multiple whistles carved
from one piece of bamboo or gourd. Wang Shixiang has raised pigeons
all his life and practised the use of pigeon whistles, thus being
well-acquainted with all aspects of this pastime. This is the only
detailed work on the subject, containing the history of the pastime,
the production of whistles, their use and connoisseurship. Further
benefits from a dual English and Chinese text. Out-of-print.
Recommended.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?w/WANBG2

YUALD1
Yuan Xiaobo and Zhang Lei: LAO DIANYING 1930-1949. Old Movies
1930-1949. Shanghai, 2004. 166 pp. B/w illustrations throughout.
28x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 30.00
New stock due shortly
A delightful work that evokes the golden age of black-and-white
cinema in Republican China from 1930-1949. A number of famous western
film stars' publicity photographs and scenes from Western-made films
of the period creep in - pleasing in themselves - but the majority of
the work is devoted to the Chinese cinema of the period - many
Chinese film stars and scenes from films are shown. Great fun and a
good reference on early Chinese cinema. Illustrated throughout in
black-and-white. Text in Chinese.
http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?y/YUALD1