Dear Arlis Members,
Solo art museum librarian seeking advice concerning the digitization of
a large slide collection that covers the museum's entire programming
history from 1967 to today. I do not have a background in library
science, but rather a background in anthropology and communications and
need help in determining what would be the right pathway for my museum
to take concerning the digitization of our slide collection or at least
a selection of slides that highlights our collection. My questions are
1.      If anyone has gone through this, or is currently going through
this, especially museums of a small size (we have a staff of 50), please
let me know what process you used, how much it cost, how long it took?
2.      Also as far as digitization goes, what would be the best medium
for storing images? CD copies, one for use and one strictly to be used
as an archival backup? Or storing images on a portable hard drive? DVDs?
3.      What grants are available? I am aware of IMLS digitization
grants, but was wondering about other digitization grants that may be
out there.
4.      Since I am not skilled in the art of library science, we may
look to hire a librarian or archivist for an extended 1-2year
employment. What type of librarian would I be looking for?

Thank you for any help you can give on any one of those items as I begin
my initial research. Also if you know of any good websites, please
direct me to them.

Sincerely,
Rayna Rokicki
Resource Center Coordinator