There is a version of this painting, titled Queen Elizabeth I Feeds the Dutch Cow, on the web at http://www.marileecody.com/newpics.html.  I saw a version recently at the Doge’s Palace in Venice.  I think the relevant catalogue of the National Portrait Gallery in London, Tudor & Jacobean portraits, by Roy Strong (London: H.M.S.O., 1969) may discuss the image.

Jonathan

	-----Original Message-----
	From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST on behalf of Christopher Quinn
	Sent: Mon 06/12/2004 6:27 PM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: [ARLIS-L] Image question

	ARLIS Colleagues,

	I'm trying to find information about an image that a student
	saw in a history text that contains little information about
	its provenance or even who created it. It sounds to me like
	it might be well known so I thought I'd ask the collective
	wisdom.

	Title might be "milch cow." Image is of a cow, which
	Elizabeth I is feeding, Philip II is riding/beating, William
	of Orange is milking, and a french monarch is pushing.

	The original image he showed me from the text looked like a
	cartoon/print but he has since found other info. that it was
	a painting. (perhaps both?) Any information about this image
	is appreciated.

	Chris Quinn
	Christopher J. Quinn
	Assistant Architecture and Art Librarian
	Ricker Library of Architecture
	608 Taft Drive
	208 Architecture Bldg.
	Champaign, Illinois  61820