I lectured in library science at Wuhan University Library (Wuhan, PRC)
in Fall 2002.  The librarians and faculty and graduate students in the
Library Science Dept. there are very knowledgable of the latest theories
and professional issues.

The books there are housed in closed stacks.  That library did not offer
what we in the United States think of as reference service.  The
"reference office" was in a rather "out-of-the-way" location and
consisted of approx. 15 people sitting at computer work stations.  They
assist patrons via telephone, e-mail and online chat.  Faculty members
made appointments with people in that department and received research
service.  Wuhan University Libraries offer a wide variety of databases
to their users and they are all linked to the library's home page.

There are some articles about libraries in China that can be found by
searching library and information science databases.

Ray Anne Lockard

Novak Gips wrote:
> I' giving a tour of our library to a group of Chinese business men.
>
> Could any one tell me briefly how  a library works in China. I'm thinking
> there must be some differences such as what type of cataloging system is
> used, are there open or closed stacks, are online databases greatly
> utilized?
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tanya Novak
> Woodbury University

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a
double-edged sword.  It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the
mind.  And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the
blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no
need in seizing the rights of the citizenry.  Rather, the citizenry,
infused with fear and blinded with patriotism, will offer up all of
their rights unto the leader, and gladly so. How do I know?   For this
is what I have done. And I am Caesar." - William Shakespeare