Subject: Necropolis Cristobal Colon: Panteon de Catalina de Lasa de Pedro y  Baro; Casa de Juan Pedro y Baro y Catalina de Lasa en Calle Paseo No. 406, El Vedado, La Habana Cuba
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:14:30 -0500
From: "Raul L. Rodriguez" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Barbara Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Barbara,
=20
Juan Pedro y Baro married his best friend's wife, Catalina de Lasa and =
built her the house circa 1928 designed by Govantes y Cabarrocas on =
Calle Paseo Numero 406.=20
(see Havana, History and Architecture of a Romantic City, pp 211-215) =
Note that the lamps were desgned by the french firm Baguez in the shape =
of art deco roses, an allusion to a variety of bloom known as the =
Catalina Lasa Rose. The lamps,still worked in 1992. When turned on, as =
the bulb heats up, the roses gradually open up!
=20
By the way, Zoila Lapique Becali has become a very dear friend. We were =
in Cuba last in June 2003 and she spent our whole stay with us. She is =
now 76 years old and I am happy to report, in excellent health. Her =
address in  Cuba is:
                                                                         =
                  Calle 54 No. 3303
                                                                         =
                  entre 33 y 35
                                                                         =
                  Playa, La Habana
                                                                         =
                  Cuba=20
You can call Zoila direct from the US by dialing: 011-(537) 203-8058.  =
Her English is far from perfect, however she will understand if you =
speak slowly. She is usually home.
If she is not, you have to call her back. She cannot afford to eat =
properly nor call you back. If you want her to research something for =
you, please offer to compensate her.
Zoila is a national treasure. She has published books on XIX Century =
Cuban Music, on Cuban Engravings and on Cuban Cigar Labels. Several =
other books she has written are waiting to be published. She has retired =
from her full time position as librarian at La Biblioteca Nacional de =
Cuba. She has travelled to the US several times while collaborating on =
Maria Luisa's book. Zoila has relatives in San Francisco, California. My =
wife and I had the privilege of touring the Getty Museum with her. She =
was seventy years old then and her enthusiasm and exhuberance was that =
of a seven year old. We love her very much and miss not being able to =
spend time with her, as we used to do, every year, now that the new =
travel restrictions are in effect.
=20
After "the triumph of the Revolution" the Pedro y  Baro House was =
assigned by the Instituto Cubano de Amistad con los Pueblos (ICAP) to =
the Soviet Union. I toured the house and photographed it in August 1992, =
shortly after the demise of the Soviet Union. The Soviet occupants must =
have left in a hurry because they left,  hung in the staircase,a picture =
of a snowy Gorky Park. They also left behind abundant communist =
literature and multiple scale models of Aeroflot airplanes! The house =
has not been reassigned to Russia no to any of the new ex-soviet =
republics. It is now a "casa de protocolo" which explains why your =
friend was invited to a reception there.
=20
Catalina de Lasa died while still young and her grief stricken husband =
had the mausoleum built for her. The entry doors of the mausoleum depict =
two angels facing each other and genuflecting. Zoila is very =
resourceful, she has friends in the cemetery and if not there she has =
access to most archives.
=20
I hope this information is useful. Good luck!
=20
Raul

=20
=20