Subject: Sad news
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:45:07 -0500
From: Susan Brynteson
To: LSTAFF

I am writing to let you know that the University of Delaware Library
received the sad news that John DePol died earlier today in Cliffside
Park, New Jersey.  Many Library staff members attended the September 30,
2004 exhibition program entitled "John DePol: Artist and Engraver" where
they met Mr. DePol and I know you would wish to be informed.

Special Collections in the University of Delaware Library is the home of
the John DePol Papers.

Mr. DePol was born in 1913.  It seems clear from the many conversations
that numerous University of Delaware administrators, University of
Delaware Library staff and I had both during Mr. DePol's visit to the
Library on September 30 and October 1, 2004, as well as following his
visit, that he enjoyed his time at the University very much.  He was
extremely appreciative of viewing the exhibition reflecting his life's
work and seeing so many friends and professional colleagues who
participated in the exhibition program and the American Printing History
Association (APHA) meeting.

The John DePol Papers relate primarily to Mr. DePol's extensisve and
accomplished career as a wood engraver and contain many examples of his
work created for keepsakes, private presses, books, businesses and
corporations.  The Papers also consist of a broad range of materials
dating from the 1950's into the nineties, such as letters, greeting
cards, books, pamphlets, brochures, proofs, clipping, flyers, broadsides
and programs.

The exhibition now in Special Collections, "John DePol: Artist and
Engraver" will remain up through Friday, December 17, 2004.

I know you join me on behalf of the University of Delaware Library in
expressing sympathies to Mr. DePol's family.

                  Susan Brynteson