From: dcMoon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 12:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Distance Education for Librarians

Hello Moira,

I'd like to ask why he wants to take distance courses?

I am currently enrolled in one for the MLIS. They are a trend now and pushed extremely hard, to the suppression of any negative feedback from students or faculty. In effect, they are being forced on us. I have not heard a single person say they prefer this format, but there must be one or two. We are not in the middle of nowhere, we are in a metropolitan area, but still we have distance courses. It's good for the University's bottom line.

All contact is by discussion board and email. No networking. No mentoring by faculty. No contact with other students. If that's what he wants, then he can certainly find programs who will gladly take his money for this kind of format.

I am looking for non-distance programs to finish my degree.

D. McGowan