I have received a large number of responses regarding my post asking for advice regarding amnesty periods.  A couple of respondents have asked that I summarize the responses and post them to the list, so here goes:

Most respondents (about 10) said that they do have periodic amnesty days or weeks.  They all mentioned that they cannot be too frequent, as students (and faculty) will wait for them when they know that they can expect them and therefore books will become even later and abuses more frequent.

One respondent suggested they should appear to be totally random.

Three respondents mentioned a new wrinkle on the amnesty plan: an amnesty for food drive: instead of paying fines for late books, during an amnesty period patrons may bring in a can of food for every overdue item; this gives good publicity to such an amnesty program and appeals to people’s charitable side.

Two respondents said that they used to have amnesty periods, but that they did not show particularly good results and only led to abuses and therefore ceased the policy.

Two respondents suggested the only way to get results is to be truly punitive: have the registrar’s office delay semester grades or next semester registration until all fines are paid or books returned.

Eric Wolf

Director of the Library

New York School of Interior Design

170 E. 70th Street

New York, NY 10021

212-472-1500 x216

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]