Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Here at NSCAD we belong to a provincial academic library consortium, NOVANET. For the last few years, we have been conducting a "Food for Fines" campaign once a year, with varying degrees of success. For each food item a patron brings in, he or she receives $2.00 off their fine record, to a maximum of $20.00. Or, patrons can also direct up to $20.00 of their fine payment to the Metro Food Bank. Each institution chooses to direct food items either to the Metro Food Bank or to its own student Food Bank (a sad comment on the poverty level of our student population). Of course, for the fines to be applied, books have to be returned.

Last year was not very successful, but it may have had something to do with the lateness of our advertising. Other years have been very good for the Food Banks and our bookshelves.

Generally speaking, we reap the benefits of a large automated cataloguing and circulation system shared between the libraries. It's just much more difficult for people to 'lose track' of the books they have out. However, our library is still small enough that we know most of the faculty and many of the students personally, so dealing with them on a one to one basis then affords us some flexibility in each situation, which usually leads to better relationships and more respect for our materials.

Regards,
Janice Fralic-Brown