Hello All.

Love those responses from the trenches! Thanks to all who have given me feedback. The solutions are as varied as one would expect of our membership. Since a number of you have asked me to summarize, I thought I'd forward an edited version of the responses, as others might them as useful as I did. Have a great day. Margaret Ericson

We are placing both the book and the box in our special collections.  They
will circulate for 3 hours within the special reading room.  Our record
says nothing special about the items, but the volume has a note pasted
under the barcode that it is accompanied by a box with so many items.

The book is on the shelves and circulates; the box is in our special collections and is available for in-library use only.  We do not list the box contents on our catalog record and "trust" that the users won't pinch anything.  Don't you just love these cataloging/circulating challenges!

We have placed the 2004 Whitney ex cat + box of goodies in our "locked cabinet" - where we keep a small number of library 'treasures" and vulnerable items (ie - photography books with "naughty bits").  Because it is a serial, we can't create a separate location for this particular item.  Therefore, we simply have a book dummy in its place amongst the run of other Whitney catalogues, telling patrons to look for it in the "locked cabinet".

Aren't art materials fun?  There's always something totally impossible to deal with!
>I am asking for feedback from those of you in academic library
>environments
>who have purchased the new Whitney Biennial 2004
>book + accompanying box with 107 fun items enclosed. Are you placing the
>box with the book on the shelf?
No.  The book is on the shelf with a note saying there's a box, too.  The
online catalog record contains a note: "Box includes illustrations and
miscellaneous material.  Cover of box inlcudes index of items and their
creators."  Not sure if we created this or it came with the record we
downloaded.
>Are you placing the 107 items in a more
>secure container?
No, we left them in the box they came in.  We put a shelf label or
hand-wrote the call number on each item (just in case one comes floating
in someday).
>Will the box circulate?
The box has been given a 2-hour Reserve status, meaning it will have to be
used in the library.
>What kinds of data are you adding
>to your database record to keep track of the contents of the box, if any.
Nothing on the database, but we had a student determine what each piece
was and wrote on the piece the artist's name and number as it appears in
the box lid.
I think we contemplated having a note on the check-in record that directed
us to count all 107 items to be sure they were all there, but we decided
the restricted status was enough.
Good luck!

We placed the book in circulation and the box on reserve.  Below is our
entry for it, if that helps.
Box includes illustrations and miscellaneous material. Cover of box
includes index of items and their creators.
   Addendum material in special reserves

Take care,

We put the box in special collections & the book on the shelf w/ a note stating that there is an accompanying box o' stuff...
Re: cataloging, I was almost laughed out of town when I asked my tech. serv. people to put note entries for all the artists in the show.

The catalog is on the shelf, although our library is a non-lending reference one.  The box goes into the "rare book" section, locked stacks of items that do not go outside of the reading room.  They are like the Visionaire quarterlies and other "surprise boxes", which we can't deface with indivually marking each piece with library stamps, so we just secure them for supervised perusal.

Good question, though.  I expected there to be mention of it before long.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE STATED:
At 12:59 PM 11/9/2004 -0500, Margaret Ericson wrote:
Hello all.

I am asking for feedback from those of you in academic library environments
who have purchased the new Whitney Biennial 2004
book + accompanying box with 107 fun items enclosed. Are you placing the
box with the book on the shelf? Are you placing the 107 items in a more
secure container? Will the box circulate? What kinds of data are you adding
to your database record to keep track of the contents of the box, if any.

Please respond directly to:

Margaret Ericson
Art and Music Librarian
Bixler Art/Music Library