I have been asked by a faculty member to find information, specifically images (print or digital), of chairs (physical objects that one sits on) that are presented to Chairs (academic appointments), a tradition at the University of Oxford or Cambridge.

I have done searches using the terms heritage chairs, ceremonial chairs, professorial chairs, both with and without Oxford or Cambridge.  I have looked through various books we have on the history of both Oxford and Cambridge in our Library, have searched the web, and have searched some article indexes without success.   Part of the search problem lies in the distinction between the two meanings of the word chair (one gets a lot of false hits).  I have yet to verify that such a tradition exists, let alone find images on the same.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

--
Marilyn Nasserden
Manager, Performing/Visual Arts Library and

Phone: (403) 220-3795