Hanshan Tang Book New List 124
Records for our new List 124
Including a significant selection of our
best selling titles
have been added to our web site at:
     http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 124 will be mailed out shortly.
Visit http://www.hanshan.com/hstpdf.html
to download new PDF VERSIONS(Portable Document Format)
of our catalogues.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 123, then you may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 123 and you have been active, the paper
copy of 124 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)

 A FEW NEW BOOKS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A few sample titles, newly in stock, that customers may like to order (please quote the six-character code in uppercase letters at the beginning of each record below):

HKG021
Art Museum, Chinese University of Hong Kong: YUAN AND MING BLUE AND WHITE WARES FROM JIANGXI. Jiangxi Yuan Ming Qinghua Ci. Hong Kong, 2002. 238 pp. 151 colour plates. 29x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 60.00
Available
Catalogue of an exhibition held at the Art Museum, University of Hong Kong, in conjunction with Jiangxi Provincial Museum. Consists of 128 items of Yuan and Ming provincial blue-and-white wares from dated tombs. Half of the exhibits come from collections on Jiangxi province, primarily the Jiangxi museum. The rest from Hong Kong and Philippine collections. Very useful for dating provincial wares. Dual text in English and Chinese.

MAM041
CHENGJISIHAN: ZHONGGUO GUDAI BEIFANG CAOYUAN YOUMU WENHUA. Genghis Khan: The Ancient Nomadic Culture of the Northern China. Beijing, 2004. 415 pp. Colour plates throughout. Chronology. 31x24 cm. Full decorative and gilt imitation leather, all edges gilt.
GBP 80.00
Available to order
Catalogue of a superb exhibition held at the Millennium Art Museum in Beijing in June 2004. The exhibition explored the nomadic culture of Northern China, with a focus on the Mongol culture associated with Genghis Khan. The exhibition benefitted from major loans from the Museum of Inner Mongolia plus other little-known museums, with the majority of the exhibits previously unpublished. The exhibits range in date from the Warring States to the Qing with an emphasis on earlier material and much from the Mongol period - Liao, Jin and Yuan. The later material, mostly Qing, shows much to do with nomadic life and religion on the steppes - from costumes to musical instruments, seals and living utensils. There are numerous fine early and distinctive bronzes unearthed from sites in Inner Mongolia, including Ordos material. There is much gold material dating from the Northern Dynasties onwards with some extraordinary Liao material. There are also ceramics, including some highly distinctive and interesting tomb figurines. There are numerous other exhibits in a range of other materials - from stone sculpture to textile and bone. The quality of the objects is extremely fine and many are of great rarity. Introductions and captions in English. Main texts in Chinese. Recommended.

GILS01
Gilman, Sander L. and Zhou Xun ed: SMOKE. A Global History of Smoking. London, 2004. 400 pp. 300 illustrations 100 in colour. 25x19 cm. Cloth.
GBP 29.00
Available
A first cultural history of smoking and one that attempts a truly global perspective, with material on the smoking of opium in both China and Victorian England, tobacco in Edo period Japan, and so on.

ZZJRT1
JIURUTANG GU TAOCI CANGPIN. Jiurutang Collection of Ancient Chinese Ceramics. Hong Kong, 2004. 364 pp. 246 colour illustrations. 31x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 110.00
Available to order
246 carefully selected objects - many with highly unusual and distinctive features - dating from the Neolithic period to the Yuan are illustrated in colour and described in detail in this catalogue of a discriminating collection which aims to represent the various stages of ceramics within this time span. Dual English and Chinese texts.

HKG041
Lai Suk Yee ed: INNOVATIONS AND CREATIONS. A Retrospect of 20th Century Porcelain from Jingdezhen. Hong Kong, 2004. 255 pp. Over 150 colour plates. In English and Chinese. 30x24 cm. Cloth.
GBP 40.00
Available
Catalogue of an exhibition jointly presented by the Art Museum, The Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Jingdezhen Ceramic Museum which gives an overview of ceramic production in Jingdezhen in the last century. There are 186 items of porcelain plaques, wares and sculptures decorated in famille rose enamels, wucai enamels, monochromes and underglaze blue. The rich contents include imperial wares for the last Qing Emperor Xuantong and also the short-lived Hongxian regime, painted porcelain by accomplished ceramic artists including the celebrated group of the "Eight Friends of Zhushan", sculptures and painted plaques of the Cultural Revolution period (1960s and 70s), a variety of antique-type wares and porcelain painted with new techniques. The majority of the pieces are selected from the collection of the Jingdezhen Ceramic Museum - this is augmented by items from private and public collections in Hong Kong. Most pieces are here published for the first time. The catalogue contains full colour plates of all items with detailed descriptions and an introductory essay by Cao Ganyuan, Academic Director of the Jingdezhen Ceramic Museum. Dual text in English and Chinese.

LEYGP2
Levy-Yamamori, R. & Taaffe, G: THE GARDEN PLANTS OF JAPAN.  2004. c.430 pp. c.780 colour photographs. 28x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Japanese plants have had an unmistakable influence on the gardens of the world. This colour encyclopaedia provides a detailed survey of 100s of plants. A manual for horticultural advice, a source of inspiration and a delight to read. Illustrated throughout. Due November 2004.

[log in to unmask]                  http://www.hanshan.com
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]