Greetings colleagues,

Following the recent announcement of the new World Biographical
Information System Online (WBISO http://www.saur.de/wbis-online) by
Saur and Thompson Gale and the loss of the free Saur World
Biographical Index we contacted Thompson Gale representatives to see
if: 1) an index-only product would be offered, and 2) there was any
possibility of arranging consortial access to the full WBISO. The
answer to both questions was, "Yes."

Those of you in the museum library community who perform provenance
research are aware of the value of Saur's biographical products. The
advantage of the Index was that it allowed provenance researchers
free access to a combined name index of the various Saur biographical
fiche sets, which include the American Biographical Archive, the
British Biographical Archive, the Deutsches Biographisches Archiv,
and others. Researchers could confirm dates and nationalities and
follow the Index citations to the full biographical information in
the microfiche sets if necessary. Hence our interest in Saur and
Thompson Gale developing an index-only product.

The value of the new WBISO product is that several (8 - see url)
microfiche sets have been digitized and search results include links
to pdf files of the full fiche entry. Saur plans to include
additional archival collections and additional regions (Eastern
Europe, SE Asia, etc. - see url). By the year 2008-09 they hope to
offer 48-50 digitized archives. Such an extensive biographical
research tool is of considerable interest to those engaged in
provenance research, but pricing is probably beyond most museum
libraries. Hence our interest in a possible consortium, most likely
of museum libraries.

If you are interested in either an index-only product or
participating in a consortium to share costs for access to the full
WBISO product, please contact either of us off list for more
information.

Regards,

Ursula Kolmstetter
Stout Reference Library