Dear colleagues,

As an art librarian who no longer has the pleasure of being surrounded by books, nor the challenge of having to find proper homes for them, I probably have no right to chime in re the bound GK Hall (and other) library catalogs being discussed.

But if you'll bear with me, I wonder whether it would make sense to verify that there are depository copies of all these landmark catalogs at the Center for Research Libraries (http://wwwcrl.uchicago.edu/)?  And if not, perhaps a coordinated effort could be made among those who feel compelled to part with their copies, to ensure that CRL receives copies of those it might lack?  This would ensure that they all remain available at least via ILL, while perhaps also providing aid and comfort to those librarians who feel they have no choice but to part with their own copies but who do so with a bad concience.

Best,

Max Marmor
ARTstor