Greetings all (excuse cross-posting):

I would like to draw upon the list participants collective experience to find out how your collection's physical space has been adjusted to accommodate the increasing use of digital images by your patron base.

This summer, I was successful in getting my administration to agree to allow me to change the name of my unit from the "Audio Visual Resources Collection" to the "Visual Resources Collection" and to spin off the circulation of most of our inventory of equipment including LCD projectors, laptop computers, digital cameras, etc. from my unit to the school's Computer Lab.  We will continue to circulate our analog based equipment, namely the slide projectors and 35 mm camera equipment.

My position in making the case for this change was that my unit needed to focus not only on the development of a sustainable image collection but also to provide a service node where faculty and students will be compelled to come to research images - drawing on staff expertise - and to build their classroom presentations using state-of-the-art hardware that they would not have access to in their home or office.  I would like to promote *activity* much like what one would find in a busy library setting.

I'm curious to hear how others have reconfigured and subsequently promoted your collection's physical relevance within your department.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cheers,
/Elizabeth Schaub, Director
Visual Resources Collection
School of Architecture
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station B7500
Austin, TX  78712
512.471.5003

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]