-----Original Message-----
From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of T. Iverson
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 3:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Diana Cooper

Dear ARLIS/NA members,

I am sorry to tell you sad news.  Diana Cooper passed away early in the
morning, Friday September 17th.  Fine Arts Reference Librarian at the
University of British Columbia Library for a number of years, Diana was a
valued colleague and good friend to many.  She will be missed.

I enclose a tribute to Diana by Catherine Quinlan, University Librarian,
University of British Columbia.

Sincerely,

Theresa Iverson

Theresa Iverson
Reference Librarian, Fine Arts Division
Main Library
University of British Columbia
1956 Main Mall
Vancouver, B.C., Canada  V6T 1Z1

(604) 822-4474

From: Catherine Quinlan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Diana Cooper

Dear All,

It is with great regret and deep sadness that I advise you of Diana
Cooper's passing, today, September 17, at 1:00 am.  She died peacefully
surrounded by her friends.

As many of you know, Diana was a long time member of the UBC family,
having graduated from UBC in l964 with a Fine Arts degree, and commencing
her career with the Library in June 1965 as the Fine Arts Librarian.

Diana always took an exceptional interest in the work of the Fine Arts
Division.  Early in her career, she was in charge of the exhibition
catalogues and book selection, as well as providing reference service to
many students in the areas of Fine Arts, Architecture, Dance, Fashion,
Costume and Artistic Photography.  She was frequently applauded by
faculty, students and staff within the Fine Arts department for the extra
efforts she made to ensure students received a tour of the Fine Arts
Division and were well versed in research methods. She thoroughly enjoyed
her work and her interactions.

Diana served on a number of Library committees over the years, making many
valuable contributions to groups that included selection committees, task
forces on systems and procedures, communications task groups, and the
teaching liaison group.  As well, she was active with many professional
organizations and associations.  Diana attended the inaugural meeting of
the Pacific Northwest Chapter of ARLIS/NA in Seattle, was part of the
organizing committee for their annual conference in Vancouver in l999 and
maintained an active role with this Chapter.

As an artist, Diana expressed her creativity in her personal life as well
as in the workplace.  The Fine Arts displays as well as exhibitions (e.g.
Theatrical Costumes, Edwardian Illustrated Books for Children, Art of
Egypt, Hogarth's Analysis of Beauty) all benefited from Diana's artistic
eye and creativity.  She also provided art work for many Library web
sites, training programs and other tools developed over the last 10 years.

Diana felt a strong bond with those she worked with and went out of her
way to ensure a pleasant work environment.  She will always be remembered
for her weekly flowers, baking and her love of afternoon tea.

We have lost a great colleague, wonderful friend, and a gentle and kind
woman.  The Library would like to ensure that her memory is properly and
permanently honored.  If you have any suggestions as to how this can be
done, please do not hesitate to contact me or Deborah Austin, Director,
Library Human Resources.

Catherine

Catherine Quinlan, University Librarian
Main Library