Here at Parsons we have a heavily used circulating Picture Collection of
approx. 65,000 plates. These plates are mostly found and gifted material
with a basic indexing system. The plates are mounted on acid-free board
and filed in cabinets. They circulate and we also make scanners and a
color copier available for reproduction.

We are considering digitizing this collection primarily for space
reasons. The cabinets and viewing tables are a real space hog and we are
desperate for real estate.

If you have a similar picture collection, my questions to you are:

How big is it?

Does it circulate?

Have you considered digitizing it?

If yes, but haven't started yet, please give me a call (212-229-8915)
or send an email and I will call you ([log in to unmask]).

If you have started digitizing (or even completed it), please briefly
describe the project (did it replace or supplement the analog version,
are students happy with the new format, what software system did you
use, how did you approach the project, etc.).

If I'm sure that students will be able to utilize the images as well in
a digital format as they correctly do in analog then I will be anxious
(as my boss is already anxious) to get this project rolling. If not then
I need some strong, fact-based argument for why it is not a good idea at
this time.

Please call or email directly (212-229-8915 or

Thanks.

Andy Gessner

Andrew P. Gessner
Director, Gimbel Library