  I would consider this move carefully because I do not believe ALL of
these catalogs are online and even if they are, there is considerable
info. in the original catalogs that may never be online.  For example,
there is considerable indexing of art and related journals in both the
MMA, MMA Goldwater Library, and MOMA catalogs as well as the NYPL/Art &
Arch.  catalog. In addition, thanks to Bernard Karpel, former MoMA library
director, there is in-depth access to exhibition literature that can
rarely be matched in other sources.
  I am sure others on this list could even offer more insights about the
sustained value of many of these catalogs.
  Of course, this information would be of primary value to academic or
research library collections and their patrons so your library's mission
would obviously play a key role in the decision about whether or not to
keep these catalogs.  My graduate students at IU are required to use these
catalogs because of their significant research documentation.
   BJ Kish Irvine, Indiana University

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Bob Sloane wrote:

> In the effort to maximize shelf space, we are investigating what other
> art library's have decided to do about these multi-volume library
> catalogs that were published in the 1960's-80's.
>
> It would appear from random checks of catalog entries that all of the
> published entries now appear on the institutional online catalogs which
> are easily accessible from the Internet.
>
> We would be interested to hear what other library's who may own these
> titles have decided to do with them.  Did you discard them?  Sell them?
> Give them away?
>
> Bob Sloane
> Department Head
> Art Information Center
> Harold Washington Library Center
> 400 S. State Street  8/N
> Chicago, IL  60605
> email: [log in to unmask]
>
> Here are the titles in question:
>
> 1) Catalog of the library of the Museum of Modern Art, New York City. GK
> Hall, 1976, 14v.
> 2) Catalogue of the Harvard University Fine Arts Library. The Fogg Art
> Museum.  1976, 15v + 3 supp.
> 3) Catalogue of the Library of the Graduate School of Design. Harvard
> University, GK Hall, 1968,  44v + 2 supp.
> 4) Dictionary Catalog of the Arts and Architecture Division. New York
> Public Library.  1975, 30v.
> 5) Catalogue of the Theatre and Drama Collections. New York Public
> Library.  1967, 9v.
> 6) Dictionary Catalog of the Prints Division. New York Public Library.
> 1975, 5v.
> 7) Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York. Library Catalog.  1960, 25v + 6
> supp.
> 8) Catalog of the Robert Goldwater Library. Metropolitan Museum of Art.
> 1982, 4v.
> 9) The Winterthur Museum Libraries Collection of Printed Books and
> Periodicals.  1974, 9v.
> 10) Library Catalog of the International Museum of Photography at George
> Eastman House.  1982, 4v.
> 11) Catalog of the Library of the National Museum of African Art.
> Branch of the Smithsonian Institution Libraries.  1991, 2v.

B. J. Kish Irvine, Ph.D.
Fine Arts Librarian
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405