Assistance needed with European Hallmarks

Dear Colleagues:

I need recommendations for books documenting European hallmarks on Gold.  I've checked Arntzen/Rainwater, and I've also sorted through WorldCat.  I'm working with a patron who is originally from Czechoslovakia, and whose English is not the best.  She's trying to research the hallmarks on a ring that I believe has been in her family for several generations.  The problem being, of course that there's no guarantee the ring originated in Czechoslovakia.  I believe we've ruled out British/Irish origin, so I'm looking for books that cover European hallmarks generally, or Slovakian or Austro-Hungarian hallmarks in particular.  I have identified a book in Slovak by Eva Toranova, which has also been translated into German.  Will try to get this on ILL.  Any recommendations for other books?

She is also under the impression that some marks may indicate the type and/or weight of gemstone in the ring.  I haven't been able to confirm that marks were used in this way.  If anyone has any leads about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I would also appreciate recommendations of special libraries or museum curators that she could consult.  This is way beyond the fairly generic selection of books we have.

Many thanks, as always, for the knowledge sharing.

Lu Harper
Librarian
Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]