Message
I received many responses to my inquiry about cataloging images into OPACs, although most of the responses were from those who wanted to see a summary of what I found out.  I'll preface my comments by stating my bias--for what we plan to do here at Regis, I'm firm in wanting some sort of gallery display of images by subject/other grouping, and in wanting a thumbnail image to display as part of each brief record.

Most respondents who are using their ILS/OPACs for image cataloging/display stated that they made that decision over using other image management products because of cost.  Additionally, the ability to search across different formats of a collection and not having to search multiple databases were stated as reasons for using the ILS.

In many examples, images are stored on a web server other than the ILS, and linked to from the MARC 856 field.  Advantage:  no need to purchase extra module for ILS (depending on product); disadvantage (from my perspective): for some, no thumbnail images embedded in catalog records.

Examples:

Academy of Natural Sciences.  Innovative Interfaces.  http://nolan.acnatsci.org/search

Try a keyword search on “plants”, select “digitized collections” from drop-down menu.

Thumbnail images in catalog records; images as pdfs and jpegs in 962 field

Links to xml finding aids in 856 field

See the article by Eileen C. Mathias, Information Services Librarian at the Academy:  “Using a Web OPAC to deliver digital collections”, Online Information Review 27/1, 2003, p 28-36.  Although written from the perspective of III pre-Millennium, there is still much useful information.

University of Nebraska.  Innovative Interfaces.  http://iris.unl.edu

Try a keyword search on “Messana” (Joseph Messana image collection)

UNL has been creating full MARC records of its VR collection for its catalog for the past ten years.  OPAC records link to an index page (not true thumbnails) from the 856 field, a function of the programming in place when the project was initiated.  UNL plans to rescan images at a higher resolution (initially scanned at 150 dpi) so that high quality OPAC images can also be used for classroom projection.

Smithsonian Institution.  Dynix Horizon.  http://www.siris.si.edu

Search Archival, manuscript and photographic collections

Can either “browse images” (link at top of search screen) or do a keyword search on “http image” to see all images.  The browse image feature appears to work with some background programming, e.g. a keyword search is executed on “http image (postcard or postcards)”

Another useful article:  Murphy, James L.  “Link It or Lump It:  Basic Access Strategies for Digital Art Representation.”  Journal of Library Administration vol. 39, no2/3, 2003, pp.139-160.

I’m just scratching the surface here—this topic would probably be a good one to explore in an ARLIS panel in the future.

Tom Riedel
Distance Services Librarian
Regis University D-20
3333 Regis Blvd
Denver, CO  80221-1099
303.458.4261
fax: 303.964.5497

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]