Records for our new List 122
Including a special section on:
  Architecture
have been added to our web site at:

      http://www.hanshan.com

The printed version of list 122 will be mailed out shortly.
See below or visit http://www.hanshan.com/hstpdf.html
to download new PDF (Portable Document Format) versions
of our catalogues.

If you did not get a copy of our *previous* catalogue 121, then you
may have fallen
off the list for mailing of the printed version. Please get in touch if you
would  like to be reinstated. If you did get 121 and you have been
active, the paper
copy of 122 will be on its way to you in due course. (Unless you have recently
asked to receive electronic notification only.)

  PDF CATALOGUES
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

We are now making our catalogues available in PDF (Adobe Portable
Document Format).

The entire catalogue as designed for print is available for download and,
at the request of a number of customers, we we also make two smaller
regional interest based subsets available, from list 122 onwards.

Please visit http://www.hanshan.com/hstpdf.html for full details and
to download the PDFs.

  SOME SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS OF NEW BOOKS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A few sample titles, newly in stock, that customers may like to order
(please quote the six-character code in uppercase letters at the
beginning of each record below):

ZZCEM1
CHINA IN EUROPEAN MAPS. Hong Kong, 2003. vii, 203 pp. c. 200 colour
plates, of which 55 fullpage. 34x38 cm. Cloth.
GBP 165.00
Available
An excellent work with fine full page colour reproductions of 55
superb European maps depicting China. The maps date from 1493-1847,
with the majority dating from the 16th-mid 18th centuries. In
addition, there are approximately 150 further colour illustrations of
other maps. The maps are held in the Special Collection of the Hong
Kong University of Science and Technology. Dual text in Chinese and
English. A treat for map enthusiasts and collectors and an excellent
visual study reference. Recommended.

CLUED1
Clunas, Craig: ELEGANT DEBTS. The Social Art of Wen Zhengming.
London, 2004. 223 pp. 100 illustrations, 60 in colour. 28x10 cm.
Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Renowned as one of the great 'scholar painters' of the Ming dynasty,
Wen Zhengming (1470-1559) was enmeshed in a complex web of social
obligation - his 'elegant debts' as he called them - which led to
many of his most celebrated works. This work uses many primary
sources for Wen's life and works, and examines the ways in which
social obligation and gift exchange were central to personal and
individual identity in the Ming period. An erudite study.

DIKNC1
Dikotter, Frank, Lars Laamann and Zhou Xun: NARCOTIC CULTURE. A
History of Drugs in China. London, 2004. xi, 319 pp. 20 b/w plates.
Bibliography, character list, index. 22x14 cm. Cloth.
GBP 25.00
Available
Argues, in a fascinating and provocative manner, that the transition
from a tolerated opium culture to a system of prohibition in late
imperial China produced a cure which was far worse than the disease.
With much historical material.

ELVRE1
Elvin, Mark: THE RETREAT OF THE ELEPHANTS. An Environmental History
of China. London, 2004. xxvii, 564 pp. Bibliography, index. 25x17 cm.
Cloth.
GBP 25.00
Available
The first environmental history of China, written by one of our most
important, readable and stimulating historians. A major source of
insight into the relationship of Chinese people with landscape and
environment which gives rich access to original literary, political,
aesthetic, scientific and religious evidence.

FLACH1
Flath, James A: THE CULT OF HAPPINESS. Nianhua, Art, and History in
Rural North China. Vancouver, 2004. 195 pp. 43 colour plates,
numerous b/w text illustrations. Glossary, bibliography, index. 24x16
cm. Cloth.
GBP 70.00
Available
'This lavishly-illustrated, engrossing study interprets Chinese
popular prints in relation to production and distribution, to
domestic ritual and social culture ...' Ellen J. Liang. An ambitious
interdisciplinary treatment of popular and print culture in 19th and
20th-century China.

GRAM01
Gravett, Paul: MANGA. Sixty Years of Japanese Comics. London, 2004.
176 pp. 360 illustrations, 100 in colour. 28x24 cm. Paper.
GBP 19.95
Available
A collection of Japanese manga from over sixty years in all genres -
girls and women's comics, realistic themes, violent sumurai, science
fiction, censored issues and protest - put together to create an
absorbing celebration of Japan's favourite comics.

HAMAR1
Hamilton, Roy: THE ART OF RICE. Spirit and Sustenance in Asia. Los
Angeles, 2003. 552 pp. Numerous colour and b/w plates. 30x22 cm.
Paper.
GBP 45.95
Available
Huge and heavy catalogue for the exhibition 'The Art of Rice' held at
the UCLA Fowler Museum in Los Angeles. Covers the labour, ritual,
festivals and depictions of rice in art from folk art forms in
various Asian countries up to imperial book illustration in China. A
vast amount of detail and illustration.

MWT001
Kwan, Simon: THE MUWEN TANG COLLECTION SERIES VOLUME 1: CHINESE
PORTRAITS. Zhongguo Xiezhen Ji. Muwen Tang Collection Series Vol. 1.
Hong Kong, 2003. 267 pp. 212 colour plates. 30x23 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Includes 106 Chinese portraits of the Ming and Qing dynasties, all
illustrated in colour, with detailed analysis of painting techniques
and dating criteria. A good study on a much neglected area. Near dual
text in English and Chinese.

KWACG1
Kwan, Simon & Sun Ji: CHINESE GOLD ORNAMENTS. Zhongguo Gudai Jinshi.
Hong Kong, 2003. 1, 571 pp. 400 colour plates with 639 illustrations.
Colour text illustrations. B/w text drawings.  31x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 100.00
Available
400 items of Chinese gold ornaments from the Kwan collection, dating
from the Shang through to the Qing dynasties, are illustrated and
described. An excellent reference with fine colour plates. Text in
Chinese with English captions to plates.

MCLGF1
McLean, Brenda: GEORGE FORREST. Plant Hunter. Woodbridge, 2004. 239
pp. Numerous colour and b/w illustrations.  28x22 cm. Cloth,
dustjacket.
GBP 29.50
Available
A good work that sheds much life on the little-known plant hunter of
the early 20th century - George Forrest. He travelled in China from
1904 onwards undertaking a total of seven expeditions in the remote
regions of Yunnan and the Sino-Hinalaya mountains. Forrest introduced
100s of new plants to cultivation. Tells of his many adventures and
escapades.

MITVV1
Mitchell, William C: VIETNAM VINTAGE. Antiques from Southeast Asia,
1900-1950. Atglen, 2004. 160 pp. 302 colour plates. 28x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 24.95
Available
Illustrated guide to Vietnamese collectables, with extensive text and
price guide.

BIN041
Monnet, Nathalie: CHINE: L'EMPIRE DU TRAIT: CALLIGRAPHIES ET DESSINS
DU VE AU XIXE SIECLES. Paris, 2004. 255 pp. Colour plates throughout.
Bibliography, index. 31X24 cm. Paper.
GBP 45.00
Available
Catalogue of a wide-ranging exhibition based on the Chinese
collections of the Bibliotheque Nationale, including some supporting
material from other collections, with pieces dating from the 5th to
the 19th centuries. Taking calligraphy as its initial focus - as the
first or highest art of China - the catalogue goes on to embrace
sections on calligraphy and painting, religious/iconic and literary
diversions, and finally, printed illustration. Basically, this work
documents the visually important aspects of the library's
collections, updating and significantly augmenting the now scarce and
sought-after 'Impressions de Chine'. In French.

MONG01
Monnet, Nathalie ed: LE GENGZHITU:  LE LIVRE DU RIZ ET DE LA SOIE.
Poemes de l'Empereur Kangxi; peintures sur soie de Jiao Bingzhen.
Paris, 2003. 71 pp. [57] pp. of plates: col. ill. 37x28 cm. Cloth.
GBP 45.00
Available
Highly interesting reproduction of a painted album by the Qing court
artist, Jiao Bingzhen. The album contains 46 paintings - 23 of rice
growing and 23 of sericulture. It apparently formed the basis for the
1696 Kangxi woodcut edition of the Gengzhi Tu. Traduit du chinois par
Bernard Fuhrer; preface du Pierre-Jean Remy. In French.

MAKC11
Musee Albert-Kahn: CHINA 1909-1934: CATALOGUE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND
FILM SEQUENCES FROM THE MUSEE ALBERT-KAHN. Volume 1: Albert Kahn's
Chinese Guests. The Identified Sites (Except Beijing)..
Boulogne-Billancourt, 2001. 404 pp. 401 colour and 524 b/w plates. 19
maps. Bibliography, indexes. 30x27 cm. Cloth.
GBP 110.00
Available
A marvellous work with hundreds of photographs (including many
stereoscopic slides) taken mostly between 1909 and 1913 and showing
views of numerous parts of Northern China from Shanghai up through
Shandong (Qingdao, Jinan, Taishan) through the area surrounding
Beijing and on up to Shenyang in the Northeast. Much more besides.
An absolute pleasure to browse and an excellent photographic
reference on China in the early 20th century. Trilingual publication
in French, English and Chinese. Published in a limited edition.

MAKC21
Musee Albert-Kahn: CHINA 1909-1934: CATALOGUE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND
FILM SEQUENCES FROM THE MUSEE ALBERT-KAHN. Volume 2: Chinese
Overseas, The Northern Expedition, Beijing, and the Unidentified
Sites. Boulogne-Billancourt, 2002. 443 pp. 1154 photographs, the
majority in b/w. 30x27 cm. Cloth.
GBP 110.00
Available
Volume 2 of the excellent early 20th century collection of Chinese
photographs in the Musee Albert-Kahn. Again mostly taken between 1909
and 1913, there are here 1154 photographs of which the vast majority
are of Beijing and the surrounding areas. A quite wonderful treat and
an excellent photographic reference for early 20th century Beijing.
Trilingual publication in French, English and Chinese. Published in a
limited edition.

NIF041
Nezu Institute of Fine Arts: CATALOGUE OF SOUTHERN SONG PAINTINGS:
ELEGANT AND NOBLE IN SOUL. Tokyo, 2004. 193 pp. 68 items illustrated
in a larger number of colour plates. B/w text illustrations. Maps,
chronology. 30x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 40.00
Available
Catalogue of a major exhibition of Song paintings and some
calligraphy from Japanese museums and private collections held at the
Nezu Institute of Fine Arts in Tokyo. 68 exquisite items are
illustrated in colour and described. Includes paintings that are
rarely seen in public, for example Huizong's 'Dove and Peach
Blossoms' will be on view for the first time in ten years.
Introduction and list of plates in English, otherwise Japanese text
only. See the review in Orientations magazine May 2004.

SEICD1
Seigle, Cecilia Segawa, Alfred Marks & Amy Newland: A COURTESAN'S
DAY: HOUR BY HOUR. Famous Japanese Prints Series, 2. Leiden, 2004.
160 pp. 60 full page colour plates. 28x22 cm. Paper.
GBP 25.99
Available
Systematic and sensitive treatment of three series of prints devoted
to Japanese beauties: Segawa Seigle writes on the series by Utamaro,
'Twelve Hours in Yoshiwara' c. 1794; Marks treats the Meiji period
series by Yoshitoshi, 'Twenty-Four Hours in Shinbashi' 1880; and
Newland discusses Toyohara Kunichika's 'The Scenes of the Twenty-Four
Hours Parodied' 1890. Well-illustrated in colour.

SHELH2
Shen Ji & Zhang Xichang ed: LAO HANGDANG. Old Trades. Shanghai,
2002. 4, 164 pp. B/w photographs throughout. 28x21 cm. Paper.
GBP 25.00
Available
Very interesting work showing hundreds of old black-and-white
photographs from the late 19th and early 20th centuries depicting the
numerous old trades of China - from rug selling to vegetable sellers,
spinners, restaurants, ploughing and tea sellers. In Chinese.

UBAWM1
Shen Kuiyi et al: WORD AND MEANING. Six Contemporary Chinese Artists.
Buffalo, 2000. ix, 37 pp. Colour and b/w plates throughout. 28x23 cm.
Paper.
GBP 29.00
Available
Catalogue of an exhibition held at the University of Buffalo Art
Gallery, with work by Xu Bing, Gu Wenda, Zhang Hongtu, Tsong Pu, Hou
Wenyi, and Zheng Shengtang. With essays by the Shen Kuiyi, Julia F.
Andrews and Chang Tsong-zung.

STRBS1
Stratton, Carol: BUDDHIST SCULPTURE OF NORTHERN THAILAND. Chicago,
2004. xl, 430 pp. A few colour plates and copious b/w illustrations.
28x21 cm. Cloth.
GBP 40.00
Available
The first major work on the sculptural legacy of northern Thailand,
or Lan Na, and an important study of the Buddhist significance of
this artistic tradition. Many pieces published for the first time and
discussed by the pre-eminent scholar of Northern Thai art.

ZZMQC0
Tie Yuan ed: MING QING CIQI KUANSHU JIANDING:. (The Authentication of
Marks on Ming and Qing Porcelains: Hall Marks and Auspicious Marks).
Beijing, 2003. 252 pp. Colour illustrations throughout. 21x14 cm.
Paper.
GBP 20.00
Available
A volume illustrating and discussing Ming and Qing porcelains that
bear base marks showing hall marks or auspicious marks. Hundreds of
marks are shown  ranging from imperial to local wares. In Chinese.

WACMS1
Wachs, Iris: MAGICAL SHAPES. Twentieth Century Chinese Papercuts. Tel
Aviv, 2004. 156 pp. 120 colour plates, b/w illustrations. 23x24 cm.
Paper.
GBP 25.00
Available
Catalogue of an unprecedented exhibition of over 200 examples of
Chinese papercuts held at the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv.
Includes information on this popular quintessentially Chinese art
never before been published in the West. Both English and Hebrew text.

WANWSK
Wang Yuanqi et al: WANSHOU SHENGDIAN TU. (Illustrations of a Glorious
Celebration of Long Life). Beijing, 2001. 43, 43, 35, 40 folded
leaves. Full page b/w illustrations throughout. 4 vols. 32x21 cm.
Stitched, brocade case.
GBP 150.00
New stock due shortly
A fine high quality and very clear facsimile of the famous
illustrated Qing work Wanshou Shengdian commissioned and published in
1717 to commemorate the 60th birthday of the Kangxi Emperor. The work
is also known as 'The Panorama of Peking' The illustrations are taken
from work by the Qing court painter Wang Yuanqi and others. The
hundreds of illustrations progress through the city of Beijing and
the numerous celebrations underway. Shows in huge detail, and with
much variety, scenes of everyday life, professions and pastimes as
well as the celebrations and parades. Imperial palaces and temples
are seen as well as small hutongs and houses. Full page illustrations
throughout each volume. Done in a very limited edition of 200 copies.
Introductory texts in Chinese.

WATCI2
Watson, Oliver: CERAMICS FROM ISLAMIC LANDS. Kuwait National Museum:
The Al-Sabah Collection. London, 2004. 512 pp. 921 colour
illustrations. 28x22 cm. Cloth.
GBP 40.00
Available to order
A catalogue of the al-Sabah collection - one of the few truly great
collections in private hands - that brilliant conveys the traditions
and techniques of Islamic ceramics and their legacy to the
neighbouring traditions of Europe and China. With authoritative text
by the Chief Curator in the department of Ceramics and Glass at the
V&A Museum, London. Copiously-illustrated in colour.

YANHG2
Yangzhou Museum ed: HAN GUANGLINGGUO QIQI. Lacquer of Guangling State
in Han Dynasty. Beijing, 2004. 153 pp. Colour plates throughout. B/w
text drawings.  26x19 cm. Paper.
GBP 30.00
Available
The Han dynasty Guangling Kingdom was located in the area of
present-day Yangzhou. This work shows the fine lacquers found during
excavations over the past 40 years of tombs of the Guangling
nobility. Colour illustrations throughout of 101 pieces. Brief
introduction in English on inside front flap, otherwise Chinese text
only.

  FINALLY

Please note customers are welcome to download a text-only version of the
latest list from: http://www.hanshan.com/txtlists
(if this loads into your browser, simply copy and paste the entire text)

Please also visit MaoPosters.com. http://www.maoposters.com